UK Career advice

Reaction score
HI all,

I am an ACCA finalist with three years working experience in Accounts Payable. I work for a big company in London and I have experience with AP recs, month end closure procedures, weekly payments and other usual AP tasks.

I would like to find a job as an Accountant now and I have already applied several times for internal positions in my company. I have been always unsuccessful due to lack of experience - as I don't have exposure with Accruals, Prepayments, bank recs and any other GL accountant tasks.

If possible I would like to be working as an accountant before I am fully qualified as I am already under-paid at the moment let alone once i am fully qualified. Furthermore,I don't find my current job challenging anymore.

What would you suggest me to do? I thought about asking my boss whether I could assist/shadow expert members of that team in order to learn few thinks although I doubt that would be enough to learn that role inside out or to be able to secure a position. Do you have other ideas? and which area/tasks of the GL accountant position should I give priority to if I had only one day at my disposal and I could not learn everything they do?

Thanks a lot for your help

Ask a Question