Career Change Advice

Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm hoping I can get some advice from any accounting experts about my hopeful transition from lawyer to accountant. I graduated from a top Canadian law school with excellent marks and recently moved to the U.S. I am not currently in a state where I can re-license as a lawyer. I hoping to get an MBA specializing in Accounting within the next 2-2.5 years. (I have no previous accounting experience so the MBA will take me a little longer due to more prereqs). Will my law experience help me at all? (I practiced for about two years in family and criminal law). Will this help me in being considered at top accounting firms? It is eventually my plan to a) get my cpa b) move to a state where I am eligible to write the bar exam such as california, ny and c) eventually make the transition being a tax/estates lawyer using previous accounting experience. This is of course an extremely long term plan and I understand the the legal job market right now stinks. (Which is why this is a hopeful long term plan). I would also not be disappointed if I just made a go of it as an accountant alone and did not return to the practice of law. Any advice or comments are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

edit- btw when I mention "top accounting firms" I don't necessary mean big 4 but decent mid-size firms. I'm not necessarily aiming for stars, just hoping to find a place to learn and grow

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
India
Hello All,

I'm hoping I can get some advice from any accounting experts about my hopeful transition from lawyer to accountant. I graduated from a top Canadian law school with excellent marks and recently moved to the U.S. I am not currently in a state where I can re-license as a lawyer. I hoping to get an MBA specializing in Accounting within the next 2-2.5 years. (I have no previous accounting experience so the MBA will take me a little longer due to more prereqs). Will my law experience help me at all? (I practiced for about two years in family and criminal law). Will this help me in being considered at top accounting firms? It is eventually my plan to a) get my cpa b) move to a state where I am eligible to write the bar exam such as california, ny and c) eventually make the transition being a tax/estates lawyer using previous accounting experience. This is of course an extremely long term plan and I understand the the legal job market right now stinks. (Which is why this is a hopeful long term plan). I would also not be disappointed if I just made a go of it as an accountant alone and did not return to the practice of law. Any advice or comments are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

edit- btw when I mention "top accounting firms" I don't necessary mean big 4 but decent mid-size firms. I'm not necessarily aiming for stars, just hoping to find a place to learn and grow
Well you can do an internship while studying if you are worried that you might not get into accounting firms after education. Then once when graduated, join these companies.

Ask a Question