Career Change Advice

Discussion in 'Career and Jobs' started by chelso, Jun 10, 2012.

  1. chelso


    Jun 10, 2012
    Likes Received:
    Hello All,

    I'm hoping I can get some advice from any accounting experts about my hopeful transition from lawyer to accountant. I graduated from a top Canadian law school with excellent marks and recently moved to the U.S. I am not currently in a state where I can re-license as a lawyer. I hoping to get an MBA specializing in Accounting within the next 2-2.5 years. (I have no previous accounting experience so the MBA will take me a little longer due to more prereqs). Will my law experience help me at all? (I practiced for about two years in family and criminal law). Will this help me in being considered at top accounting firms? It is eventually my plan to a) get my cpa b) move to a state where I am eligible to write the bar exam such as california, ny and c) eventually make the transition being a tax/estates lawyer using previous accounting experience. This is of course an extremely long term plan and I understand the the legal job market right now stinks. (Which is why this is a hopeful long term plan). I would also not be disappointed if I just made a go of it as an accountant alone and did not return to the practice of law. Any advice or comments are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

    edit- btw when I mention "top accounting firms" I don't necessary mean big 4 but decent mid-size firms. I'm not necessarily aiming for stars, just hoping to find a place to learn and grow
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
    chelso, Jun 10, 2012
    1. Advertisements

  2. chelso


    Jan 26, 2018
    Likes Received:
    Well you can do an internship while studying if you are worried that you might not get into accounting firms after education. Then once when graduated, join these companies.
    Yash, Apr 17, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.