UK Career change???

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am about to be made redendant (voluntary) from HM Forces and after 23 years service I need a new challenge. I have always had the idea that accounting is my new career path, however, I have many unanswered questions.

I have no accounting experience, however, the RAF are willing to pay for some courses. The question being which one should I do? I could do the AAT and start at the basic level, or I could do ACCA and aim a little higher!
I'm not sure how they differ in difficulty and would the end reward be worth it. I am confident that I am intelligent enough to complete the courses, even though I have been out of education for some time.

The other main question is getting a job. I hope to settle somewhere in Scotland (Inverness probably), where there are jobs, but not a massive amount in accounting. Is it worth writing to companies to explain my situation. I have managerial experience, and office based skills, apart from that I dont have much to my name.

I currently teach Photography to new members of HM Forces but have no desire (or qualifications) to teach.

So, I need to choose a course and get a job that is relevant to the course. Easy!!!

Any advice would be most welcome.
:confused:

Ad

Advertisements

Becky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums :)

What role do you do within the RAF? Getting into accounting can be a little tricky, but often worth it for the pay and job security. I think it would be a good idea for you to get in touch with local accountancy firms to see if they would give you some work experience - this will give you a taste of what the job would be like, and a foot in the door too if you impress them.

What other courses are on offer? Have you considered tax advisory too?

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
I would suggest aiming higher and seek to complete ACCA. I feel this would benefit you far more in the long run. If the RAF are paying for this then that is a real bonus. Once qualified with some relevant experience you will find that you progress through your career fairly quickly.

Ask a Question