USA Career Change

Reaction score
I received a degree in Accounting in 1984 but I have been working in Retail which is what I was doing while getting my degree. While working in retail I have done some accounting related functions like cashroom, bank deposits, auditing registers and processing payroll. Due to downsizing I am out of work and would like to switch to the accounting field.

Will I be able to find work with my limited experience or do I need to go back to school?

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
The accounting degree is at least something you have that some other applicants will not have. So I would first try to find accounting work and emphasize whatever accounting related work you have done, which you mentioned above. If you are not skilled with Excel then I'd advise that your first find a way to get that training before applying for jobs. Good Luck!

Reaction score
Accounting Career Change

Even though you received the degree a long time ago it is still some background to fall back on. Im wondering if some of these accounting careers ( allaccountingcareers.com/accounting-careers ) would be good to look into that are entry level positions. That way it will get you back in the mindset of the accounting field and if you wanted give you the ability to take a refresher class or two before you start to move your way up the accounting ladder.
I was looking through this site: allaccountingcareers.com/ for some good accounting advice for you. It has a lot of good information about different careers and what not.

Ask a Question