USA Career / Job Help

Reaction score
Country
United States
Two things I'm hoping to get out of this post.

First, is my LinkedIn profile
https://www.linkedin.com/in/christopherrobinpeterson/

I want to someday become a budget analyst...I think. What direction should I start heading in to get there?

I'm 36, single with no kids and 1 parent gone, the other unemployed so no way to get financial assistance. In fact my current situation has me at Wal-Mart 20 hrs a week weekends to help pay off my massive college debt and afford my health care for a health problem I have.

Secondly, any advice on finding jobs in the Saint Paul/Minneapolis metro area? I have not done much networking and as of yet have not delved too deep into the workforce centers website that seems to have some advice on there.

My strategy has so far been to just apply to jobs. Have had 1 interview, 3 contacts out of probably 20 apps. When we get into our slow time at work I will be able to spend more time on the networking stuff. But is there any other strategy I'm missing?

Not interested in banking or working for a CPA firm.

Thinking of getting either the CPA or CMA some day, but unless a company would spend a big portion of an MBA cost I cannot afford to get my MBA and have the return on investment pay off.

With current situation being what it is, is it unreasonable to hope for 23/hr as some sort of accountant, then 3-5 years sr accountant, and then 5 years after that budget analyst?

Attachments

Reaction score
Country
United States
It is not the time to be picky on where to work. Forget CPA, forget CMA (never even heard of it until now), and forget MBA. These are not necessary.

I see that you already worked close to 4 years at your current job. You should not be a Junior anymore. You should be at least regular corp accountant.
Inquire within the company if you can get promoted and a pay raise. I am not familiar with the area you are in.

bklynboy

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
landing a role as a budget analyst takes no special experience. I have run this group in the past and generally its not even an accounting background that is needed. What matters is how well individuals understand the drivers of expenses, how they relate to the top line of the P&L and identying trends/metrics to help manage efficiency of costs. A six sigma is usually better relevance. If you are interested, I know this type of role tends to have higher than average turnover as hours are brutal during budget season so reach out to a headhunter and I am sure they can get you in touch with companies staffing this type of role. $23 and hour sounds right as I start new hires at $30 for entry level but that is in NY which tends to have a 25% markup.

My best advice is when you land an interview, share with them some general ideas you have reserached about their costs and how it relates to some of their peers. This shows them you are looking at them in the light they expect

Ask a Question