USA Career Options for a State Tax Auditor

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all, I was wondering if anyone could give me some information about possible career options for someone in my position.

For 8 years I have worked for a state department of revenue. I started as a tax auditor and am currently a supervisor. I have audited primarily oil and gas severance tax, motor fuel tax, and other indirect and excise taxes and have trained others on these taxes. I have a B.S. in Accounting, although I am not a CPA, and this is the only accounting/auditing related job I have had. I am interested in finding a tax job in industry. I am located in a major metropolitan area and have reviewed many job postings with local companies, but I have yet to find any jobs with requirements that I fill.

If anyone has information, I am basically wondering how marketable someone with my experience would be on the tax accounting job market?

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
State excise tax auditing is a very specialized industry, which is usually difficult to move on from. Depending on the state, you may have excellent pension and medical care benefits, which should be considered before you depart.To move on from this position, I suggest your best course is to headline your resume as "experienced auditor with supervisory experience." At this point, unemployment is low so that will be in your favor. As time goes on , the recent medical concerns may change this.

Reaction score
Country
India
You can join for Accounting and auditing roles with different MNCs and Companies.

Ask a Question