Careers Advice

Discussion in 'UK Accountancy' started by rob, Jun 9, 2005.

  1. rob

    rob Guest


    I have 10 years IT experience but want a change of career. I have half
    owned a start up company that now turns over £600k and employs 5
    people. I have done all the bookkeeping, PAYE and general accounting
    with an external accountant doing the year end accounts. I have Sage
    Line 50 experience. I have an unrelated 2:2 Degree.

    I would like to be an Accountant long term and am wondering the best
    way to obtain Chartered Status. A few of the questions I am thinking
    about are:

    1) Would it be best to do the AAT exams first or go straight into the
    professional path?
    2) Which is the best Accountancy body to aim for?
    3) Should I just start applying for jobs or do some exams first so I
    can apply for "Part Qualified" jobs.

    Any help greatfully received.


    PS I will be living in Edinburgh.
    rob, Jun 9, 2005
    1. Advertisements

  2. Not surprisingly this is an FAQ. Here's the last time it was asked:

    I'm a bit out of date but FWIW:

    I think you need an Accounting degree to be Chartered so your options
    are Chartered Certified (every bit as good as Chartered in the same
    way a Skoda is every bit as good as a Volkswagen :)
    I would have said yes but the concensus seems to be go straight for the
    professional if you are *sure* you can make it.
    Chartered and Certified are the GP's of the Accountancy world, able to
    turn their hand to anything. CIMA, Inst of Chartered Secretaries and a
    host of others offer more specialised paths.
    Get any experience you can. Have a look through this group's back
    catalogue (it seems to be rather quiet at the moment). Here's a link
    to your bible:
    Ronald Raygun is o'er the brae.

    Troy Steadman, Jun 9, 2005
    1. Advertisements

  3. It appears that a degree in Microbiology is fine for getting into Chartered,
    in England anyway. However, I believe you need a training contract with a
    registered training practice, so I would still recommend Certified.
    Jonathan Bryce, Jun 9, 2005
  4. rob

    Doug Ramage Guest

    IIRC, one of my colleagues in a large accountancy firm had a degree in
    Textile Technology (or something similar).
    Doug Ramage, Jun 9, 2005
  5. rob

    rob Guest

    Thanks all. The message Troy pointed out is uncannily like me!!
    rob, Jun 10, 2005
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.