certification, grad school or ???

Discussion in 'Accounting' started by Chinvat, Nov 4, 2005.

  1. Chinvat

    Chinvat Guest

    I need the shortest easiest route to improve my situation. The CPA exam
    is hard and takes a long time to study for. EAs often only work during
    tax season. CMAs are becoming obsolete as we move towards a
    service-orientated economy. The CFA exam is way too hard. I don't know
    what to think of the CFP. Should I be trying to get into graduate
    school?

    Here's my situation:

    I worked for five years as a bookkeeper while working on my bachelor's
    degree, which took me a long time to complete. Two of the jobs I stayed
    at for 2 years apiece, the second 9 months and the last for 3 months. I
    didn't take the positions seriously, as I was a student and felt I
    would do a lot better after I graduated.

    After graduating, I worked 6 months in a CPA firm during tax season and
    was laid off. I was unemployed for about a year and for the last six
    months, I've been working as a cashier in a gas station.

    I've got two big gaps on my resume and three short jobs. The first gap
    was due to me just going to school full-time after my last bookkeeping
    job and the last was not being able to find a job. I think this
    situation may be permanent.

    Even if certification isn't the answer at least it will keep my mind
    from turning to mush as I count change.

    Anyone with any advice?
     
    Chinvat, Nov 4, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. i reccomend a phd in accounting. it is free and you can just study
    part time. when you graduate, as a phd, you qualify for high paying
    jobs on wall street for phds.
     
    bird flu shot, Nov 4, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertisements

  3. Chinvat

    Joe Canuck Guest

    Chinvat wrote:

    > I need the shortest easiest route to improve my situation. The CPA exam
    > is hard and takes a long time to study for. EAs often only work during
    > tax season. CMAs are becoming obsolete as we move towards a
    > service-orientated economy. The CFA exam is way too hard. I don't know
    > what to think of the CFP. Should I be trying to get into graduate
    > school?
    >
    > Here's my situation:
    >
    > I worked for five years as a bookkeeper while working on my bachelor's
    > degree, which took me a long time to complete. Two of the jobs I stayed
    > at for 2 years apiece, the second 9 months and the last for 3 months. I
    > didn't take the positions seriously, as I was a student and felt I
    > would do a lot better after I graduated.
    >
    > After graduating, I worked 6 months in a CPA firm during tax season and
    > was laid off. I was unemployed for about a year and for the last six
    > months, I've been working as a cashier in a gas station.
    >
    > I've got two big gaps on my resume and three short jobs. The first gap
    > was due to me just going to school full-time after my last bookkeeping
    > job and the last was not being able to find a job. I think this
    > situation may be permanent.


    The first gap really isn't a gap, as you can show that you were going to
    school full-time. The second, well everyone has a gap after getting laid
    off... some longer than others.

    >
    > Even if certification isn't the answer at least it will keep my mind
    > from turning to mush as I count change.
    >
    > Anyone with any advice?
    >


    Sounds like you have 5 years bookkeeping experience along with a
    Bachelor's degree. Is that 5 solid years or part-time experience?

    It is somewhat problematic that you didn't stay with any one employer
    for very long, future employers will ask you why that happened. There
    has to be a reason other than you not taking the positions seriously.

    Tax work is seasonal unless you are high up on the feeding chain. As
    well, you can break down a difficult task (achieving a designation) into
    small chunks that make it more manageable.

    View it one step at a time, one day at a time. If you were in Canada I'd
    suggest starting down the path for a CGA, particulary since you already
    have the degree requirement accomplished.
     
    Joe Canuck, Nov 4, 2005
    #3
  4. In article <>,
    Chinvat <> wrote:
    >CMAs are becoming obsolete as we move towards a
    >service-orientated economy.


    CMA -- Certified Management Accountant? Don't managers in
    service-oriented businesses need to collect and interpret
    financial information, too?


    --
    "No other major companies were working on [computer-controlled homes], and
    that was exactly the problem. Microsoft does best when it has a
    successful competitor it can copy and then crush." -- Marlin Eller,
    "Barbarians Led by Bill Gates", 1998
     
    Gregory L. Hansen, Nov 4, 2005
    #4
  5. You can't go wrong with a CPA. A graduate degree (MBA??) would only make
    sense once you've made some progress in your career. CMAs are worthless.
    CFA and CFP; not before you're CPA. Note, however, that most states have
    experience requirements so you'll not be a CPA just because you pass the
    exam. There are states that have no experience requirements, and will
    simply certify you upon passing the exam, but you have to take the exam in
    their state. I believe Delaware is one of them.


    "Chinvat" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I need the shortest easiest route to improve my situation. The CPA exam
    > is hard and takes a long time to study for. EAs often only work during
    > tax season. CMAs are becoming obsolete as we move towards a
    > service-orientated economy. The CFA exam is way too hard. I don't know
    > what to think of the CFP. Should I be trying to get into graduate
    > school?
    >
    > Here's my situation:
    >
    > I worked for five years as a bookkeeper while working on my bachelor's
    > degree, which took me a long time to complete. Two of the jobs I stayed
    > at for 2 years apiece, the second 9 months and the last for 3 months. I
    > didn't take the positions seriously, as I was a student and felt I
    > would do a lot better after I graduated.
    >
    > After graduating, I worked 6 months in a CPA firm during tax season and
    > was laid off. I was unemployed for about a year and for the last six
    > months, I've been working as a cashier in a gas station.
    >
    > I've got two big gaps on my resume and three short jobs. The first gap
    > was due to me just going to school full-time after my last bookkeeping
    > job and the last was not being able to find a job. I think this
    > situation may be permanent.
    >
    > Even if certification isn't the answer at least it will keep my mind
    > from turning to mush as I count change.
    >
    > Anyone with any advice?
    >
     
    Matthew Pomeroy, Nov 5, 2005
    #5
  6. i recommend a law degree, JD.
     
    bird flu shot, Nov 6, 2005
    #6
  7. Chinvat

    Guest

    This guy has a Bachelors, five years of experience, and worked in an
    accounting firm for 6 months and all he can find after a year of
    unemployemtn is work as a gas station cashier?

    That tells more about the accounting field than it does about this
    person. Having a CPA will not make your more employable. That's a
    fallacy.

    Get out of the accounting field. It's dying and has been for years.
    Don't listen to the Greg Hanson's and Paul Thomases of the world. These
    assholes don't know anything about the field as a whole, and will only
    give you stupid advice based on their own narrow-minded situation.
     
    , Nov 6, 2005
    #7
  8. Chinvat

    Joe Canuck Guest

    wrote:

    > This guy has a Bachelors, five years of experience, and worked in an
    > accounting firm for 6 months and all he can find after a year of
    > unemployemtn is work as a gas station cashier?
    >
    > That tells more about the accounting field than it does about this
    > person. Having a CPA will not make your more employable. That's a
    > fallacy.
    >
    > Get out of the accounting field. It's dying and has been for years.
    > Don't listen to the Greg Hanson's and Paul Thomases of the world. These
    > assholes don't know anything about the field as a whole, and will only
    > give you stupid advice based on their own narrow-minded situation.
    >


    Actually, it says more about the individual seeking employment than it
    does about the accounting field.
     
    Joe Canuck, Nov 6, 2005
    #8
  9. Chinvat

    Guest

    "Actually, it says more about the individual seeking employment than it

    does about the accounting field."


    Bullshit! I'd say this dude working at the gas station has more insight
    on what the accouting field is 'really' like than people like Paul
    Thomas, Greg Hanson do. Or than that other motherfucker from Finland,
    Timo Salmi. All that guy has ever done is work in academia.
     
    , Nov 6, 2005
    #9
  10. Chinvat

    Joe Canuck Guest

    wrote:

    > "Actually, it says more about the individual seeking employment than it
    >
    > does about the accounting field."
    >
    >
    > Bullshit! I'd say this dude working at the gas station has more insight
    > on what the accouting field is 'really' like than people like Paul
    > Thomas, Greg Hanson do. Or than that other motherfucker from Finland,
    > Timo Salmi. All that guy has ever done is work in academia.
    >


    I respectfully disagree. :cool:
     
    Joe Canuck, Nov 6, 2005
    #10
  11. In article <>,
    <> wrote:
    >This guy has a Bachelors, five years of experience, and worked in an
    >accounting firm for 6 months and all he can find after a year of
    >unemployemtn is work as a gas station cashier?
    >
    >That tells more about the accounting field than it does about this
    >person. Having a CPA will not make your more employable. That's a
    >fallacy.
    >
    >Get out of the accounting field. It's dying and has been for years.
    >Don't listen to the Greg Hanson's and Paul Thomases of the world. These
    >assholes don't know anything about the field as a whole, and will only
    >give you stupid advice based on their own narrow-minded situation.
    >



    I gave advice?


    --
    "'No user-serviceable parts inside.' I'll be the judge of that!"
     
    Gregory L. Hansen, Nov 7, 2005
    #11
  12. Chinvat

    Joe Canuck Guest

    Gregory L. Hansen wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>This guy has a Bachelors, five years of experience, and worked in an
    >>accounting firm for 6 months and all he can find after a year of
    >>unemployemtn is work as a gas station cashier?
    >>
    >>That tells more about the accounting field than it does about this
    >>person. Having a CPA will not make your more employable. That's a
    >>fallacy.
    >>
    >>Get out of the accounting field. It's dying and has been for years.
    >>Don't listen to the Greg Hanson's and Paul Thomases of the world. These
    >>assholes don't know anything about the field as a whole, and will only
    >>give you stupid advice based on their own narrow-minded situation.
    >>

    >
    >
    >
    > I gave advice?
    >
    >


    You are being dragged into the thread. :)
     
    Joe Canuck, Nov 7, 2005
    #12
  13. it is true accounting is a dying field. accountants are maggots just
    like lawyers and bankers. the only reason people criticize lawyers and
    bankers more is because those guys make more. accountants make too
    little to pay attention to, but they are maggots just the same.

    in the information age, companies will switch over to IT systems that
    collect and distribute financial information, and outsource the
    programming to India. there will be very little need for accountants
    -- maybe just one or two per large company. the rest of the staff will
    be fired because there is no more need for guys to sit around tabbing
    up numbers on spreadsheets.
     
    mrs. eliza humperdink, Nov 7, 2005
    #13
  14. Chinvat

    Ron Todd Guest

    On 6 Nov 2005 12:21:31 -0800, wrote:

    >This guy has a Bachelors, five years of experience, and worked in an
    >accounting firm for 6 months and all he can find after a year of
    >unemployemtn is work as a gas station cashier?
    >
    >That tells more about the accounting field than it does about this
    >person. Having a CPA will not make your more employable. That's a
    >fallacy.
    >
    >Get out of the accounting field. It's dying and has been for years.
    >Don't listen to the Greg Hanson's and Paul Thomases of the world. These
    >assholes don't know anything about the field as a whole, and will only
    >give you stupid advice based on their own narrow-minded situation.


    I think that "dying" is a bit of an extreme description. It isn't
    anywhere near as good as it used to be and it is very difficult to get
    placed, but it is not dead. Demand appears to have been fairly level
    over the last decade after a decline from its 1965, or so, peak. I
    can't see anything on the horizon over the next decade that will
    return it to a shortage situation save maybe the end of the Pell
    grants and other subsidies.
     
    Ron Todd, Nov 7, 2005
    #14
  15. Chinvat

    Ron Todd Guest

    On 7 Nov 2005 13:36:39 -0800, "mrs. eliza humperdink"
    <> wrote:

    >it is true accounting is a dying field.


    disagree with "dying," only agree with supply in excess of demand in a
    professional field where adequate non professional substitutes have
    been found for the bottom of the market, turbotax, quickbooks,
    etc.....

    >accountants are maggots


    disagree with that description. there are a significant number but no
    where near as high a proportion as politicians, lawyers, doctors,
    teachers, mechanics, bankers, insurance salesmen, brokers, etc. I
    would say that the profession has a greater portion of ethical and
    moral men that large group I can think of, including priests, pastors,
    and rabbis.

    >just
    >like lawyers and bankers. the only reason people criticize lawyers and
    >bankers more is because those guys make more. accountants make too
    >little to pay attention to, but they are maggots just the same.


    I agree they make more, but doesn't the condition of people who go
    around criticizing others because they make more money than them say
    more about the people doing the criticism. doesn't it seem like there
    is something seriously wrong with them?


    >
    >in the information age, companies will switch over to IT systems that
    >collect and distribute financial information, and outsource the
    >programming to India.


    It may go to India but I don't think anyone who really knows the IT
    story thinks it will ever solve any problems. IT has been the biggest
    oversold bundle of malarky in the history of mankind. tens of billions
    of dollars squanderer with a negative net return. the only reason it
    is isn't worse is because the accountants insisted that the IT people
    produce things that would work and wouldn't pay them until it did.


    >there will be very little need for accountants
    >-- maybe just one or two per large company. the rest of the staff will
    >be fired because there is no more need for guys to sit around tabbing
    >up numbers on spreadsheets.


    Dream on. The accountants are the most critical and necessary
    department of any enterprise. Without good accountants monitoring,
    measuring and reporting on your enterprise, you die.
     
    Ron Todd, Nov 7, 2005
    #15
  16. >> people who go around criticizing others because they make more money than them -- doesn't it seem like there is something seriously wrong with them?

    you are criticizing people who criticize people who make more money.
    does this mean there is something wrong with you?
     
    mrs. eliza humperdink, Nov 8, 2005
    #16
  17. Chinvat

    Chinvat Guest

    I'm leaning towards grad school, a MBA with a concentration in
    Accounting. I haven't seen many schools which offer a MS in Accounting.
    Even though a MBA is supposed to be for managers, when you look at the
    curriculum of most schools, they don't contain many management courses.
    They usually offer a year of general business and a year of
    concentration courses.

    I figure, with a year of advanced accounting under my belt. I won't
    even have to study for the CPA exam. The MBA should prove that I know a
    lot about accounting. Plus, I might be able to attribute some of my
    unemployment to time in spent in school and just say I took extra
    classes or something. Also, I'm making so little money now, that I
    might be able to get more money from financial aid than I can earn now.

    I don't really think I have the self-discipline to study for the CPA
    exam. I've tried to study for it, but haven't been able to push myself.
    I thought I lost my ability to study, until I started taking a tax
    course and have been doing fine. It is a lot easier to study x amount
    of material when you have a test on Friday, than study x^9 for a test 6
    months from now. How long does it take most people to study for the
    exam anyway?

    With all that said, I'm still hoping to find a faster and easier way.

    As far as there being something wrong with me and that being the root
    of my problems, this may be true. I often hear in interviews that I
    have the right skill set, or that my skills are a perfect match for the
    position but I don't quite fit in, or something similar. I blame HR
    which I believe is a sham based on pseudo-science and I doubt there is
    any credible evidence which links personality to job performance
    anyway. Of course, this doesn't help me much, as I still have to get
    those people on my side.
     
    Chinvat, Nov 8, 2005
    #17
  18. Chinvat

    Ron Todd Guest

    On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 23:20:05 GMT, Ron Todd
    <> wrote:

    >On 6 Nov 2005 12:21:31 -0800, wrote:
    >
    >>This guy has a Bachelors, five years of experience, and worked in an
    >>accounting firm for 6 months and all he can find after a year of
    >>unemployemtn is work as a gas station cashier?
    >>
    >>That tells more about the accounting field than it does about this
    >>person. Having a CPA will not make your more employable. That's a
    >>fallacy.
    >>
    >>Get out of the accounting field. It's dying and has been for years.
    >>Don't listen to the Greg Hanson's and Paul Thomases of the world. These
    >>assholes don't know anything about the field as a whole, and will only
    >>give you stupid advice based on their own narrow-minded situation.

    >
    >I think that "dying" is a bit of an extreme description. It isn't
    >anywhere near as good as it used to be and it is very difficult to get
    >placed, but it is not dead. Demand appears to have been fairly level
    >over the last decade after a decline from its 1965, or so, peak. I
    >can't see anything on the horizon over the next decade that will
    >return it to a shortage situation save maybe the end of the Pell
    >grants and other subsidies.
    >



    My error, I meant 1975.
     
    Ron Todd, Nov 8, 2005
    #18
  19. Chinvat

    Guest

    You think an MBA with a concentration in accounting might be the
    answer? An MBA degree is a joke! Probably the most overrated business
    degree outside of a degree in management.

    You will find that your MBA will be you "less" employable, not more.



    Chinvat wrote:
    > I'm leaning towards grad school, a MBA with a concentration in
    > Accounting. I haven't seen many schools which offer a MS in Accounting.
    > Even though a MBA is supposed to be for managers, when you look at the
    > curriculum of most schools, they don't contain many management courses.
    > They usually offer a year of general business and a year of
    > concentration courses.
    >
    > I figure, with a year of advanced accounting under my belt. I won't
    > even have to study for the CPA exam. The MBA should prove that I know a
    > lot about accounting. Plus, I might be able to attribute some of my
    > unemployment to time in spent in school and just say I took extra
    > classes or something. Also, I'm making so little money now, that I
    > might be able to get more money from financial aid than I can earn now.
    >
    > I don't really think I have the self-discipline to study for the CPA
    > exam. I've tried to study for it, but haven't been able to push myself.
    > I thought I lost my ability to study, until I started taking a tax
    > course and have been doing fine. It is a lot easier to study x amount
    > of material when you have a test on Friday, than study x^9 for a test 6
    > months from now. How long does it take most people to study for the
    > exam anyway?
    >
    > With all that said, I'm still hoping to find a faster and easier way.
    >
    > As far as there being something wrong with me and that being the root
    > of my problems, this may be true. I often hear in interviews that I
    > have the right skill set, or that my skills are a perfect match for the
    > position but I don't quite fit in, or something similar. I blame HR
    > which I believe is a sham based on pseudo-science and I doubt there is
    > any credible evidence which links personality to job performance
    > anyway. Of course, this doesn't help me much, as I still have to get
    > those people on my side.
     
    , Nov 9, 2005
    #19
  20. prove it, buddy. the *average* MBA from harvard or stanford B school
    earnings $250,000/yr
    4 years after the MBA degree. you can view these stats at the school
    web site.
     
    mrs. eliza humperdink, Nov 9, 2005
    #20
    1. Advertisements

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Similar Threads
  1. Me myself and I

    Fresh Grad.

    Me myself and I, Feb 22, 2005, in forum: Accounting
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    662
    Me myself and I
    Feb 23, 2005
  2. Replies:
    2
    Views:
    613
  3. mmb
    Replies:
    21
    Views:
    1,837
    Ed Durall
    Dec 26, 2003
  4. Bajer

    HB-Post grad teacher training

    Bajer, Aug 1, 2004, in forum: UK Tax Credits and Benefits
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    417
    anthonyberet
    Aug 5, 2004
  5. Replies:
    5
    Views:
    373
  6. teaks

    Fresh College Grad

    teaks, Jan 18, 2007, in forum: Financial Planning
    Replies:
    44
    Views:
    1,282
  7. zrfran2

    Job Dilemma/Grad School

    zrfran2, Apr 7, 2013, in forum: Career and Jobs
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    589
    zrfran2
    Apr 7, 2013
  8. Feo Takahari
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    681
    Feo Takahari
    Aug 15, 2015
Loading...