Chart of Accounts

USA Discussion in 'General Accountancy Discussion' started by Vincent Dinh, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Vincent Dinh

Vincent Dinh

Hello There, could someone let me know if there is any official guidance on GL Account Code from authorized organizations, such as FASB, AICPA?

Vincent Dinh, Jan 9, 2018
    1. Advertisements

2. Vincent Dinh

kirby VIP Member

No guidance. Just use the structure that makes sense to you. It helps to start from a chart of accounts you are familiar with and improve on that.

kirby, Jan 11, 2018
    1. Advertisements

3. Vincent Dinh

ESSAM

there is some standard COA but better to do it by your self as per your business need

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2018
    ESSAM, Jan 19, 2018
  4. Vincent Dinh

bklynboy VIP Member

No official guidance but some general structure considerations would be:
    - Start each account with the group it belongs to (i.e. 1 for assets, 2 for liabilities, 3 for for equity, 4 for revenue, 5 for expense, etc)
    - Consider using first 3 numbers for type of account (101 for any bonds, 401 for sales, etc)
    - Leave gaps in numbering so that you can add new accounts in the future
    - use the last 3 digits in each account for the sub ledger of the group (i.e. 401101 - Sales Revenue West Cost, 401102 - Sales Revenue East Coast

You need to see what works best for your needs - lots of good information on the Web to use as real examples

bklynboy, Jan 19, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question