USA Child Care Credit

say

Reaction score
Hi All:

Almost complete my tax return! Just the damn child care credit holding me up.

I am using turbotax, and it is not letting me claim child care credit. I want to seek other opinions.

Information:
1) I work full time, with a normal W2 from the company
2) My wife runs a small home business, which she started last year. Sadly, she is making losses instead of making millions as we envisioned. :) Turbotax show negative on both net income and gross income for her business
3) We paid $3k for child care so she can run her business at home

Turbotax is saying we do not qualify, not quite sure whats the reason. I suspect is because the rule is both spouses has to work and has TAXABLE income.

Questions:

1) Does my wife business need to have taxable income to qualify? I assume she does not, as her business is making losses. This does not sense.Only profitable business allow to claim child credit?
2) Is there is a income limit to claim this credit? (Ex, I earn too much to qualify? Which, i highly do not think so)

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Your 3k in child care is limited by the smaller of your income or your wifes income . So since she posted a minus the limit rule acted to zero out your credit

Ask a Question