USA Claimed 0 but owe $3k. Can someone help trouble shoot?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi All,

I can't seem to figure out why we owe 3k in taxes this year. When I run my wife's return in the tax refund calculator she owes about $2,800.

Her details are below.
Wages: 71743.6
Federal income tax: 8270.08
State income tax: 2289.54
Worked in Indiana but lives in Illinois.
No deductions.

My details are below:
Wages: 145,665.85
Federal income tax: 31,606.73
State income tax: 5,897.52
No deductions.

Filing jointly we owe about $2,800. When I ran both of our taxes as if we were single filing separately I got a 700 refund and she owed about 3,000.

I've tried a number of tax withholding calculators and paycheck calculators online and our tax withholding looks fine based on those but when putting it in for the 2017 tax return her's is materially off. Any thoughts?

We were married 4/16/2016 and we claimed zero on our W-4. Is there something we are missing? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Reaction score
Country
United States
Your withholding is too low. Claiming zero is not enough. Go ask HR for a W-4 and pay particularly close attention to the two earners worksheet on the back. You are withholding well below your tax bracket for having no itemized deductions.

Good luck!

Ask a Question