Client has not filed since 2007

Reaction score
Okay, the client is a 50 year old man, who because of family situation and I think some depression, has not filed since tax year 2007.

Receives K-1 from another family member. Total income from all sources less than $15,000 for each of these years.

Client wants to file for 2010 leaving '08 and '09 unfiled for now.

Will that be making a mistake?

==================

My experience is storefront for several years and small scale indy practice. This one I feel I'm over my head. I do want to help this guy if possible.

Thanks.

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Bigger mistake would be to not file anything. At least filing 2010 is a start. On your side i think a written memo from you to him detailing his need to file the other years is important C Y A for you. Once IRS spots him he is about to become even more depressed.

Reaction score
Thank you. And yes, a calm, matter-of-fact C Y A is part of it, too.

Is there an IRS practice where someone doesn't get a refund if they're more than 3 years later?

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm not aware of a limitation like that.

But there is also the STATE side of this.
and I DO know that some states assess a late filing penalty NOT on the net tax due but on the TAX itself (BEFORE any tax withholdings or payments) - so in those states being due a refund does not save you from being hit with late filing charges cause those late charges are based on the gross tax amount, not the net tax or refund due.

Last edited:

Ask a Question