USA Client is incorporating his existing LLC and bringing in some new co-owners. Unsure how to book.

Reaction score
Country
United States
My client has been sole owner of an LLC for several years. He's forming a corporation and bringing in new business partners. He'll own 51% of the corporation. The corporation will be legally filed as being formed from the existing LLC. However, it is getting a new tax ID and Employer ID.

I'm not sure how I should prepare the books to reflect the transition from the LLC to a corporation. Should I close the LLC books completely and start new books with opening equity and assets entries? Or should I just add new equity and asset accounts for the new owners and their contributions to the existing LLC books? Is there a difference in how using either approach will impact taxes?

Drmdcpa

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
New company, new set of books. Accounting should not alter tax effects.

Reaction score
Country
United States
New company, new set of books. Accounting should not alter tax effects.
Thanks. That's what I thought but I was unsure since it's being incorporated as a converted entity from the original LLC and not as a new standalone entity.

Ask a Question