USA Client won't turn over bank statements for capturing deductions

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have restaurant owner client who will not give me the company bank statements to reconcile, capture deductions and complete taxes. Last year on last day of tax deadline for S-Corporations they were emailing me deductions because the bottom line I had did not include all expenses because I was unaware of them. I filed the return and had to do an amendment. (They were piece mailing me deductions up to 9pm) I file the sales/meals tax every month and know the revenue. I am given receipts every month and it is very tedious to go through them all, not to mention error rate. How do I get the client to understand the importance of me having them to capture all deductions and if they don't then what do I do? The client has revenue over $600k.

Fidget

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Get rid of them maybe? Sounds like they're taking up more of your time than they're probably paying you for. And if they're reluctant to give you what you need to the job, then getting shot of them is a real option.

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
They are causing extra work. So bill them significantly for the extra work and the rush work. At some point they will be unhappy and either change their ways, quit the relationship with you or keep doing what they are doing and just pay the extra costs. I suggest that all of those outcomes are a win for you.

Last edited:

bklynboy

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
They are causing extra work. So bill them significantly for the extra work and the rush work. At some point they will be unhappy and either change their ways, quit the relationship with you or keep doing what they are doing and just pay the extra costs. I suggest that all of those outcomes are a win for you.
Agree with this - if they make life harder for you then just bill them more so that they understand.

Ask a Question