UK Company Assets Split/Chargeable Gains

Reaction score
Hello
New to this forum so please bear with me.

I currently provide managment accountacy services for a company in the UK. The company is fashioned with three main trades: Wholesale, Transport & Retail. As such, i have evaluated that the wholesale side of the business is making a heavy loss and the Transport & Retail is carrying the company. With this in mind, it is of my opinion to split the company into 3 seperate companys (Wholesale Ltd, Transport Ltd, Retail Ltd). The balnace sheet has a number of assets that will need to be transferred into the new companys to seperate accordingly. Would anyone have advice regarding the tax situation on selling/transfering assets to the other companies and advice on using a holding company for the seperate companies? Im thinking along the lines of Corporation Tax & Chargeable Gains which if exposed to would want to be efficient about.

Thank you for your reply in advance.
Kind Regards
MO'Brien

Becky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello and welcome aboard! :)

Depends on the group structure once the new companies are established - intergroup transfers are usually done at no gain/no loss, so as long as assets are not disposed of outside the group then a chargeable gain may not arise.

More about it in the HMRC manuals here: CG45300+ - CAPITAL GAINS MANUAL: Contents

Ask a Question