Company credit card

Reaction score
Welcome
I have on quick question .... I am trying to enter credit card statement to the accounting system. credit card is used by wife of the owner and she is one of the directors in a company.... most of her spending are for cloths and stuff so I treat them as a expenses out of the scope... I have enter them as a UK entertainment with T9 tax code. She withdraw some money from account, but I've been told that this have been used to pay some bills for business... so I will transfer all withdrawals form credit card account to the petty cash account...

What I am looking for Is extra opinion about what I mention before..am I doing this correctly ... ???
Thank you so much for your help ... :):):):)

Reaction score
NO, you are creating big problems with this arrangement. You should not be commingling personal expenses with business expenses on the company credit card, especially since you don't seem to have a clear accounting of what is personal vs. what is business.

The credit charges for your employee's personal expenses constitute a nonaccountable plan and represent taxable wages to her like a bonus (unless de minimis), also subject to FICA and Medicare, because she is receiving a benefit. Also, if she is not substantiating any of her business expenditures on the card with adequate support and/or returning any excess amounts within a reasonable period of time then those expenses are also considered taxable under a nonaccountable plan.

You should get an accountant and straighten this out.

Last edited:

Ask a Question