USA complicated and creative approach to ownership: question

Reaction score
Country
United States
Situation: Client A wants to buy client B's business for $0 down; to compesate, A will give %25 of net profit to B for the next 5years.

Three Questions: a)How will this transaction be recorded in the books? b) How will taxes be filed? c) What will the %25 payout be titled in the books?

Thank you for reading,
Eric

Reaction score
Country
United States
Client A isn't transferring any consideration at the time of sale?

Why would B give up their claim of 100% of net profits in exchange for 25% of net profits, and nothing else?

I'm sorry I can't answer your question, but it's pretty intriguing.

Reaction score
Country
United States

Why would B give up their claim of 100% of net profits in exchange for 25% of net profits, and nothing else?

Let me clarify, it's a deal for full ownership! A wants to do this with "capital gains", we've proposed doing this through wages, but that's not what he wants.

Anyway, I'm truly asking this question because a true professional is stumped and I want to help... I may not understand it all but I appreciate your response and insight greatly!

Fidget

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
a) Sounds like it should just be treated as a business acquisition.

b) Can't help with that.

c) Call it whatever you like so long as whatever you call it refers to what it actually is.

Reaction score
Country
United States

Client B is giving up %100 of the business because he's leaving the industry for family reasons. The company in question isn't worth a lot now, but has great growth potential.

Ask a Question