USA Confidence Issues

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I came across this website to increase in my knowledge and exposure in the Accounting field. I am currently having issues in finding a job. Here is what I have:

I graduated with a Bachelor's in Accounting on December 2010.

I have worked with a local CPA firm for 1 year doing:
-Taxes (Individual)
-Bank Reconciliations
-Assisted on a Health Benefit Plan Forfeiture testing for a Health Benefit Plan Audit
-Data entry for some clients for several months
-Income Reconstruction projects for those who evaded taxes

I also helped out a local CPA with:

-Taxes (Individual, Corp, S-Corp) - Yet very basic.
-Data entry
-Assisted in Department of Labor Audit

I am currently helping a non-profit religious organization with their accounting.

In addition, I am also helping someone with their accounting for a Pharmacy they run.

So with the above, while it seems very good, I still feel like I am inadequate. Like I am not good enough to get a job at a CPA firm. I am aiming to get experience at a Big Accounting Firm. Hopefully, I can stay there or at least get around 2-3 years experience. The biggest factor for my inadequacy is I got a 3.1 GPA(major). My total GPA would be around 3.4.

I feel so down right now. I feel like I can't get anywhere. Whenever I see the job descriptions, I don't feel like I am good enough to handle that job. I am currently studying for the CPA exam. I passed FAR. I am currently on REG. And I still need my Masters.

Do any of you guys have any advice for me? I am thinking that my shot has to be when I go for my Masters. But I do not know if I can do this. I don't know if I can get in. I do not feel confident. Any way to break this?

Reaction score
I run into this type of problem myself. I've realized that some of the jobs I'd ideally want, I am not ready for and decided to look for entry level positions that don't require all the skill and insight that comes with years of experience that I don't have, as a college student. I personally have had to scale back my expectations of myself to be more reasonable and approachable. It sounds like you have big goals, but I don't know anyone who has reached a big goal without using smaller goals as stepping stones. Keep your big goals in mind and work toward them with the opportunities that fit you now. You will probably gain a lot of experience and insight along the way and that will be another one of your growing list of skills to offer in the world. Remember, nobody has their life charted out and you don't have to fit into every expectation your mind creates. You can thoughtfully choose how you want to respond to each one. Best wishes! I feel I can relate to your post. Thank you.

Ask a Question