Canada Contingent Liabilities Question

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi Everyone,

I am having trouble figuring out how an entry should be accounted and what the appropriate accounts would be for in a similar situation as the following:

Company A has completed services for Company B, let's say the services are worth $500.00.

In exchange for the services, Company B agrees to sell Company A materials at a cost minus what the services are worth, (the cost will be higher than the services) on the condition a sale of a product that needs the materials is made.

The probability of a sale happening is quite high, however, if it is not made then they will not be paid for the services that were completed.

I would also like to know how the loss would be recorded if the sale would become unlikely.

I appreciate your help!

--Amber

Fidget

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not sure where you're seeing a Contingent Liability. Contingent liabilities have to be a possibility on account of something that has already happened. Your scenario is based around an exchange *if* a *future* condition comes to pass, and is therefore a derivative.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Okay,

So how would this be accounted for in Journal Entry format then?

I was told that this type of transaction needs to be accounted for as a Contingent Liability and have been overthinking every part of it on how to make this work and why.

Sadly, I do not have proper accounts to work with and for some reason I cannot even think through how it would be accounted for when a service (like contract work) is completed in exchange for materials. I am completely blanking as to the proper account name, as well as the type of account.

When I think of this transaction I consider the services (which happen to be contract work and fully completed to date) as a non-refundable pre-payment to Raw Materials that will or will not be bought in the future.

Since, the probablity of the sale is likely to happen, in my mind I believe it a provision would need to be created for the estimated amount minus the fair value of the contract work.

I know this could be completely wrong, but i cannot wrap my mind around this, so any bit of detail would be great.

Fidget

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Which accounting standards are you working under?

Fidget

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know what the best way to account for it is.

I'd be inclined to do nothing in terms of recording of the transaction that only happens should a future event happen.

Ask a Question