USA Contracted CPA Service

Reaction score
I am a independent CPA contracted by a non-CPA firms (owners and employees are not CPAs) to provide some of their clients various accounting and advisory services. The non-CPA firm is marketing to its clients as though it has CPAs on staff to attract clients. However that CPA is me and I am not employed by the company as an employee. The non-CPA firm do not want the clients to know they subcontracted the work out to a licensed CPA to handle. My concern is the liability I could face as a license CPA by the client and/or the non-CPA firm that I am servicing on their behalf if they are marketing to clients that I am a CPA working for the company. I have direct communication with the clients and its in-house staff when performing work and the client know I am a CPA.

Question:

1. Do I have any liability risk in this case as a contracted CPA?
2. Should I indentify myself and financial advice to be independent of the non-CPA firm advice, if different?

I do not mind doing the work behind the scene unknown to their clients but feel the non-CPA firm should not be using my name or credentials in the company marketing strategy or signing off work I did not complete myself.

Your advice in matter is appreciated.

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Sorry, but for legal liability questions and contract questions you need to ask a licensed attorney. This is an accounting forum.

Ask a Question