USA Controller Position

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've been working in the accounting field for over 20 years. I'm finally closing in on finishing my degree. (Better late than never.) I've been with my current company for 9 years now and am looking to move into a Controller role. I'm looking for key points to focus in on as to what a Controller position would actually entail. I'm assuming like most positions in this industry what is entailed can be very broad or very specific. Any help/suggestions/input would be greatly appreciated.

AGH the CPA

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm the Controller for a small international company. We have about 35 employees in the US and another 20 or so in Europe and China. I wear A LOT of hats. I'm HR, CFO and main accountant. The biggest piece of what I do is reviewing financial reports so that I keep the CEO informed. On a daily basis I handle the banking (LOC transactions, wires etc) as well as whatever else pops up. Today for instance Im working on our Form 5500 for our 401k plan. For the past week, I've been working on preparing comparative reports from 2002 for our approach to banks for new financing. I've also been in training for a new tracker system for our software developers (we put in a new very glitchy ERP system 2 years ago) We fired someone, someone resigned and we've hired someone so all the paperwork that goes along with each of those. Handled medicare part D notifications and tracking. Have to finish up prior months consolidation this week.

So, that gives you just a taste of what I have going on.... Feel free to ask me any questions!

Ask a Question