Could use some advice.

Reaction score
Hi guys,

A little background first. About a year and a half ago I took my first accounting class and loved it. After I finished that class, a family friend got me a part time internship at a local CPA firm. I loved it and decided to make accounting my major.

Fast forward a little over a year and I'm almost done with my first two years and have begun looking at four year schools to continue my education. Except, I'm very stressed at work. One of the CPAs left the firm and the two other accountants have also left. The other CPA has hired another student to help, but we both feel that we don't have the experience or knowledge to be doing everything asked of us and the owner doesn't seem too concerned about hiring anyone anytime soon.

I still love the work and have learned more working there then I could've ever imagined with school alone, but with the experienced employees leaving, a lot of the work has fallen on me. I've had to put more hours in at work and my school work has started slip and I haven't been able to study for the EA exam like I planned. I'm extremely worried about missing any deadlines with client issues, because a lot of the work has been moved to me, and I feel that if I bring this up not much will change anyway.

Do I need to quit and focus more on school, do I need to firmly stick to my part time status regardless of how much work needs to be done, or do I keep trudging along because the experience is invaluable. Maybe accounting just isn't for me if I'm having trouble with the stress already. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
You gotta know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away and know when to run. This is a walk away because you need to protect your GPA and your sanity. You are being paid intern wages but being made to shoulder CPA responsibility. Bad deal for you, great deal for owner. So, very politely but very quickly bail out and re-focus on school.

Last edited:

Samir

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree with kirby. If you've already been given this much work to do, you've already learned enough to move on.

Ask a Question