USA CPA license Alaska

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all, I have a question about the CPA license requirements in Alaska and I sent an email to nasba and they couldn’t help me.

In the nasba website, it’s saying that Alaska has an option for non-accounting degree students to meet the exam requirements (see below – option 4). In another website, it is also stated that in Alaska “They allow non-accounting degree holders to sit for the exam (provided they have 1 year of public accounting experience), but you will need 150 credit hours and 2 years of relevant experience in order to get a license”.

Currently, I have 134 semester credits and I have more than 2 years of public accounting experience. If the above is accurate, I would only need another 16 credits (not specific credits – could be business / accounting / other) and then I could apply for the CPA license in Alaska as I already passed the 4 parts of the exam in NJ.

Could anyone confirm if my understanding is correct? There are so many rules and so many different websites that I don’t know if I missed anything important.

1. Degree and Accounting Concentration which includes:
· a completed bachelor’s degree, or its equivalent, conferred by a regionally accredited college or university;
· twenty-four semester hours in Accounting;
· three semester hours in Business Law;
· three semester hours in Economics; and
· three semester hours in college level math, statistics and/or computer science

2. Degree and Accounting which includes:
· a completed bachelor’s degree, or its equivalent, conferred by a regionally accredited college or university; and
· fifteen semester hours in Accounting.

3. Degree In-Progress and Accounting which includes:
· the applicant is within 18 semester hours of completing a bachelor’s degree, or its equivalent, from a regionally accredited college or university; and
· completion of 15 semester hours in Accounting.

4. Degree and Qualifying Experience which includes: (From research, this would be applicable for bachelor’s degree w/ less than 15 accounting credits)
· a completed bachelor’s degree, or its equivalent, conferred by a regionally accredited college or university; and
· completion of one year of public accounting experience under the direct supervision of a Certified Public Accountant (CPA).

Regards
Milena

Ask a Question