Crisis loan? - Another DWP joke!


G

GK

Today, i have spent over 3 hours on the telephone, in attempt to arrange
a crisis loan, since i have not received any benefit since July 3rd
(normally a 2 week cycle).
I have dialled the number over 200 times, i would guess, constantly
getting an engaged tone. On two occasions, i did get through to be in
the queue, but on both occasions, when i got to the front of the Q, was
cut off. It seemed as though someone on the other end of the line had
lifted the receiver and put it straight down. I haven't managed to speak
to anyone today.
I visited my local JCP, and demanded to see the customer services
manager, and had to wait 30+ minutes before being seen by a supervisor.
She told me i just had to keep trying, she had heard of people who had
waited for DAYS before getting through. I told her there's no point in
trying if the idiot on the other end of the line hangs up.
She also told me she had no access to contact the Social Fund
department, other than the free phone number i had been using. I told
her i didn't believe that for a minute, suggesting there must be some
sort of internal memo, email, fax, or telephone system. She denied there
was. She also passed comment about there being ways and means to get
money if i were a woman (isn't this sex descrimination?), or if i had
dependant children.
She suggested i make a complaint, stating that everyone is quick to moan
in the office, but never actually make a complaint. I told her i had
already made 3 previous complaints in writing, but have never received a
reply to ANY of them.
Then she started going on about how they were short staffed, and moaning
that there were going to be redundancies in the future. I pointed out to
her that each time i had been there, all i had seen was that half of the
staff wander about, talking to each other in small gatherings,
apparently doing nothing else.
I think i will be making another complaint about them, why don't the
government privatise them, then allow competition. They'd soon get off
their arses then...

GK
 
Ad

Advertisements

M

Martin Davies

GK said:
Today, i have spent over 3 hours on the telephone, in attempt to arrange
a crisis loan, since i have not received any benefit since July 3rd
(normally a 2 week cycle).
I have dialled the number over 200 times, i would guess, constantly
getting an engaged tone. On two occasions, i did get through to be in
the queue, but on both occasions, when i got to the front of the Q, was
cut off. It seemed as though someone on the other end of the line had
lifted the receiver and put it straight down. I haven't managed to speak
to anyone today.
I visited my local JCP, and demanded to see the customer services
manager, and had to wait 30+ minutes before being seen by a supervisor.
She told me i just had to keep trying, she had heard of people who had
waited for DAYS before getting through. I told her there's no point in
trying if the idiot on the other end of the line hangs up.
She also told me she had no access to contact the Social Fund
department, other than the free phone number i had been using. I told
her i didn't believe that for a minute, suggesting there must be some
sort of internal memo, email, fax, or telephone system. She denied there
was. She also passed comment about there being ways and means to get
money if i were a woman (isn't this sex descrimination?), or if i had
dependant children.
She suggested i make a complaint, stating that everyone is quick to moan
in the office, but never actually make a complaint. I told her i had
already made 3 previous complaints in writing, but have never received a
reply to ANY of them.
Then she started going on about how they were short staffed, and moaning
that there were going to be redundancies in the future. I pointed out to
her that each time i had been there, all i had seen was that half of the
staff wander about, talking to each other in small gatherings,
apparently doing nothing else.
I think i will be making another complaint about them, why don't the
government privatise them, then allow competition. They'd soon get off
their arses then...

GK
Them being short staffed and possibly losing jobs in the future is nothing
to do with you. She shouldn't have mentioned them.
They do tend to have some methods of calling that the public don't know
about - sometimes well out of date numbers, sometimes just a non-freephone
number to join the same queue you were in. Not all departments give contact
numbers out specifically for other departments.

You aren't the first person I have heard has problems getting through to the
number - I tend to hear about one story every couple of weeks these days.
Either keep trying, or see if there is an address to write to.

Martin <><
 
R

Robbie

From: "Martin Davies" (e-mail address removed)
Date: 28/07/04 18:07 GMT Daylight Time
Message-id: <[email protected]>




Them being short staffed and possibly losing jobs in the future is nothing
to do with you. She shouldn't have mentioned them.
They do tend to have some methods of calling that the public don't know
about - sometimes well out of date numbers, sometimes just a non-freephone
number to join the same queue you were in. Not all departments give contact
numbers out specifically for other departments.

You aren't the first person I have heard has problems getting through to the
number - I tend to hear about one story every couple of weeks these days.
Either keep trying, or see if there is an address to write to.

Martin <><
It's wrong though Martin - the idea behind a Crisis Loan is being able to
actually contact benefit stqaff at a moments notice.

Unfortunatley, many District Offices have centralised their Crisis Loan
sections to a phone section - and it's disgusting that no-one can get through
to the staff to make a claim.

It's probably illegal too, but the poor can never fight back.

Robbie
 
N

Netty

I thought you had to attend the office in person when you applied for a
Crisis Loan???
 
R

Robbie

From: "Netty" (e-mail address removed)
Date: 28/07/04 23:47 GMT Daylight Time
Message-id: <[email protected]>

I thought you had to attend the office in person when you applied for a
Crisis Loan???
You're supposed to - being as a crisis loan is meant to mean you literally need
money there and then - but some benefit offices have taken it upon themselves
to make it a telephone service only and refuse to see people in person.

Of course, they don't seem to understand that

A. You need money there and then

and

B. haven't got the money for a telephone call

Some Citizen Advice Bureaus have started legal action against some offices
because of this.

It's causing terrible problems in some parts of the country because of the
application of this rule. It's also quite illegal, as it can take up to 4 days
to receive a Crisis Loan form, against the nature of the directions of the
Secretary Of State.

The reason why the offices concerned think they can get away with it is because
you no longer have to make an application in person on the day the need arises.
 
G

GK

(e-mail address removed) (Robbie) wrote in
You're supposed to - being as a crisis loan is meant to mean you
literally need money there and then - but some benefit offices have
taken it upon themselves to make it a telephone service only and
refuse to see people in person.

Of course, they don't seem to understand that

A. You need money there and then

and

B. haven't got the money for a telephone call

Some Citizen Advice Bureaus have started legal action against some
offices because of this.

It's causing terrible problems in some parts of the country because of
the application of this rule. It's also quite illegal, as it can take
up to 4 days to receive a Crisis Loan form, against the nature of the
directions of the Secretary Of State.

The reason why the offices concerned think they can get away with it
is because you no longer have to make an application in person on the
day the need arises.
whichever way you look at it, it's not an adequate service they provide
for this. I've had to use it quite a few times in the last couple of
years, and as i've said in this NG a few weeks ago, i have NEVER had an
answer on the phone within an hour. What the supervisor said to me today
about people waiting for days before getting through is shocking. Even
to me...

BTW, where i live is a telephone service. I'm told it's that way to save
their advisors from getting abuse from customers.
IIRC, (actually, it's in my diary) the last time i got a loan, (9th
April) they gave me £81.90 to last me for 3 weeks. I had been dialling
the phone number repeatedly for 1hr 55 mins, before finally getting in
the Q, where i waited for another 30 mins before talking to someone.
Mind you, i fared better than i did the day before, i dialled then
waited in a Q for 2hrs, before being disconnected, as i was again today.

:-((
GK
 
Ad

Advertisements

R

Robbie

From: GK (e-mail address removed)
Date: 29/07/04 02:27 GMT Daylight Time
Message-id: <[email protected]>

(e-mail address removed) (Robbie) wrote in


whichever way you look at it, it's not an adequate service they provide
for this. I've had to use it quite a few times in the last couple of
years, and as i've said in this NG a few weeks ago, i have NEVER had an
answer on the phone within an hour. What the supervisor said to me today
about people waiting for days before getting through is shocking. Even
to me...

BTW, where i live is a telephone service. I'm told it's that way to save
their advisors from getting abuse from customers.
IIRC, (actually, it's in my diary) the last time i got a loan, (9th
April) they gave me £81.90 to last me for 3 weeks. I had been dialling
the phone number repeatedly for 1hr 55 mins, before finally getting in
the Q, where i waited for another 30 mins before talking to someone.
Mind you, i fared better than i did the day before, i dialled then
waited in a Q for 2hrs, before being disconnected, as i was again today.

:-((
GK
I was quite lucky when I had to apply for a Crisis Loan - went into the office
just before 12pm, was seen within 15 minutes and got my loan before 1pm. I
think I was lucky that I'm in an area that is fully staffed... I doubt many
people could have got a loan that quick in most parts of the country.
 
M

Martin Davies

Robbie said:
It's wrong though Martin - the idea behind a Crisis Loan is being able to
actually contact benefit stqaff at a moments notice.
I agree its wrong.
And when a crisis loan is needed, it tends to be needed now - not in a few
days.
Hmmm......one alternitive that doesn't always work - borrow a minicom and
contact them through the minicom line if they have one.
Doesn't always work as many places don't actually have staff who know how to
use one, or are too busy to take the call. Tends to be a little less traffic
on minicom lines but tends to be far fewer (often only 1) minicom in the
building.




Unfortunatley, many District Offices have centralised their Crisis Loan
sections to a phone section - and it's disgusting that no-one can get through
to the staff to make a claim.
From a staffing perspective and space perspective it makes sense - so in
strict monetary terms is better.
Just customer service wise for the people who need it - its pretty crap.

Likely won't be long before all processing is done at a few centralised
locations and the district office becomes merely a customer services section
and a customer steward (not security guard even).

Martin <><
 
G

GK

(e-mail address removed) (Robbie) wrote in
I was quite lucky when I had to apply for a Crisis Loan - went into
the office just before 12pm, was seen within 15 minutes and got my
loan before 1pm. I think I was lucky that I'm in an area that is fully
staffed... I doubt many people could have got a loan that quick in
most parts of the country.
It has been claimed that the office dealing with my claim is greatly
overstaffed...
When you see them all wandering about, and hearing them talk about
"corrie last night", you know they are overstaffed.

GK
 
D

depfaxpym

Leave them alone, at least they have a life and don't spend all thier
time moaning about thier lot. They found a job.....
 
M

Martin Davies

depfaxpym said:
Leave them alone, at least they have a life and don't spend all thier
time moaning about thier lot. They found a job.....
Dunno about "found" a job.
Be nice to have one like theirs. But no-one is recruiting permanent civil
service jobs locally.

Martin <><
 
Ad

Advertisements

R

Robbie

From: "Martin Davies" (e-mail address removed)
Date: 02/08/04 16:36 GMT Daylight Time
Message-id: <[email protected]>




Dunno about "found" a job.
Be nice to have one like theirs. But no-one is recruiting permanent civil
service jobs locally.

Martin <><
They're not recruiting civil service jobs locally anymore.

Over the next three years Civil Service jobs will all be short term contracts.

Some may laugh at this, but as this is often the biggest employer I wonder if
many will laugh when not only civil service jobs go, but shop workers etc.
Perhaps it maybe the wife of the poster who laughs the most? When she's
unemployed and the jokers have to manage the mortgage all by themselves?

Most civil service jobs are based in areas of high unemployment. The knock on
effect of other jobs may increase unemployment by a lot more than the amount of
Civil Servants that are to be made unemployed.

No doubt there'll be people crowing in this NG about it all.
 
M

Martin Davies

Robbie said:
They're not recruiting civil service jobs locally anymore.

Over the next three years Civil Service jobs will all be short term contracts.

Some may laugh at this, but as this is often the biggest employer I wonder if
many will laugh when not only civil service jobs go, but shop workers etc.
Perhaps it maybe the wife of the poster who laughs the most? When she's
unemployed and the jokers have to manage the mortgage all by themselves?

Most civil service jobs are based in areas of high unemployment. The knock on
effect of other jobs may increase unemployment by a lot more than the amount of
Civil Servants that are to be made unemployed.

No doubt there'll be people crowing in this NG about it all.

There's a little sandwich shop just near one of the big civil service sites
in Blackpool (Warbreck hill).
I daresay having an office with a couple of thousand people so close means
he is quite busy at lunch - especially if overtime is done at weekends and
canteen shut. I know we used to send out for 30 or 40 sandwiches at once for
the room.
Maybe less civil servants and some closed offices will mean that some of the
service shops remain open. But not with the same staffing themselves, and
nowhere near the same (taxable) profit.
I can think of one or two places that benefit from civil service offices
locally. Reduce staffing, or shut office, and suddenly some will have to
move or close the business.

Martin <><
 
G

GK

(e-mail address removed) (depfaxpym) wrote in
Leave them alone, at least they have a life and don't spend all thier
time moaning about thier lot. They found a job.....
Cheeky get, you.
I have found myself in the unfortunate position of not being able to work,
due to a back injury, sustained while IN work.
My gripe is that it is supposed to be a CRISIS loan. If they paid me my
benefits in the first place i wouldn't be in the desperate position of
applying for one of these.
Do you think i don't like working? Living on next to nothing, the bare
necessities EVERY week.
I'd like to see you try it....

sitting on the phone for hours on end, then some other cheeky little get
finally gets round to answering the phone, only to hang it up without
talking to you.

GK
 
A

alunroberts

GK - what you fail to realise that as an unemployed person you are a member
of 'der untermensch'. Although if you look in your Passport and it confirms
that you are a British Citizen in reality you are not. You have now become
the object of scorn, ridicule and indeed hatred. All the jobs-worths,
arse-hole licking syncophants and frightened wage slaves can now have
someone to hate and look down on and feel superior - so you perform a
valuable service there.
 
M

Martin Davies

alunroberts said:
GK - what you fail to realise that as an unemployed person you are a member
of 'der untermensch'. Although if you look in your Passport and it confirms
that you are a British Citizen in reality you are not. You have now become
the object of scorn, ridicule and indeed hatred. All the jobs-worths,
arse-hole licking syncophants and frightened wage slaves can now have
someone to hate and look down on and feel superior - so you perform a
valuable service there.
For those of us to whom English isn't a primary language, can you explain
what this "der" thingy is?

And GK - you aren't an object of scorn, ridicule and hatred in the eyes of
anyone whose opinion ultimately matters.
 
Ad

Advertisements

G

GK

For those of us to whom English isn't a primary language, can you
explain what this "der" thingy is?

And GK - you aren't an object of scorn, ridicule and hatred in the
eyes of anyone whose opinion ultimately matters.
hey, i haven't even got a valid passport. Never been on a foreign
holiday, other than to England......

No offence meant

GK
 
C

cb

GK said:
Today, i have spent over 3 hours on the telephone, in attempt to arrange
a crisis loan, since i have not received any benefit since July 3rd
(normally a 2 week cycle).
I have dialled the number over 200 times, i would guess, constantly
getting an engaged tone. On two occasions, i did get through to be in
the queue, but on both occasions, when i got to the front of the Q, was
cut off. It seemed as though someone on the other end of the line had
lifted the receiver and put it straight down. I haven't managed to speak
to anyone today.
I visited my local JCP, and demanded to see the customer services
manager, and had to wait 30+ minutes before being seen by a supervisor.
She told me i just had to keep trying, she had heard of people who had
waited for DAYS before getting through. I told her there's no point in
trying if the idiot on the other end of the line hangs up.
She also told me she had no access to contact the Social Fund
department, other than the free phone number i had been using. I told
her i didn't believe that for a minute, suggesting there must be some
sort of internal memo, email, fax, or telephone system. She denied there
was. She also passed comment about there being ways and means to get
money if i were a woman (isn't this sex descrimination?), or if i had
dependant children.
She suggested i make a complaint, stating that everyone is quick to moan
in the office, but never actually make a complaint. I told her i had
already made 3 previous complaints in writing, but have never received a
reply to ANY of them.
Then she started going on about how they were short staffed, and moaning
that there were going to be redundancies in the future. I pointed out to
her that each time i had been there, all i had seen was that half of the
staff wander about, talking to each other in small gatherings,
apparently doing nothing else.
I think i will be making another complaint about them, why don't the
government privatise them, then allow competition. They'd soon get off
their arses then...

GK
cb If you are having problems write and complain to their customer
services officer every branch of DWP has them,if still no practical
solution and a load of their bewildering answers to your problems
write to the chief executive office in london.
 
Ad

Advertisements

G

GK

(e-mail address removed) (cb) wrote in
cb If you are having problems write and complain to their customer
services officer every branch of DWP has them,if still no practical
solution and a load of their bewildering answers to your problems
write to the chief executive office in london.
I have already written to the "area manager" and while i was at it, and
sice i have found inaccuracies in the data they hold on me (probably
because of deleting my claim from their computer system last year), i
have requested a copy of this data under the DPA. The quickest respone i
ever had from them! Their data protection officer wrote to me
immediately, informing me of general details i will receive in the next
40 days.
Still no reply to my complaint though....

GK
 
Ad

Advertisements


Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top