USA Curious Question: Public Accounting International Working Hours

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello -

This is just kind of a curious question that I've always had. I am in no way thinking about Public Accounting in another country, I am just wondering.

In the US full-time workers in public accounting (and obviously many other fields) are exempt from the FLSA. This means our government doesn't really care much if you start work at 5 AM and go home at 11:00 pm. You aren't being paid overtime.

In countries that have much stronger labor laws than the US, what do public accounting firms do? Do they just hire more people to spread the work out, or pay more overtime. I mean, France has a 35 hour work week. Are French people working at Deloitte, for example, able to get their work done in 35 hours? Or are they just bringing home the bacon in overtime? Or are the engagements just way long and spread out over time so everyone doesn't have to cram? Or is it just reflected in higher fees to the client?

Last edited:

Ask a Question