Decision on a double major.

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

This is my first post on this forum. I came here to maybe get some advice from some experienced accountants! Right now I'm a freshman going to a small liberal arts school in Ohio. It's known fairly well in the last few years for producing some great accounting students so we have many opportunities with decent sized firms for internships and jobs. Cooper Tire and Marathon Oil are the top two at the time. My actual question has to do with double majoring. I came in with 32 credits already achieved because of post secondary. This made me decide to double major. Here's the dilemma, what should I pick up? I was curious about possibly doing an information technology because if I'm correct there are accounting jobs that have to do with computers like accounting information systems. If I go that route it will take me 4 years to graduate. Another option I have would be to double up with Business Administration. It is only a few extra classes because it corresponds with Accounting so well. I'll be able to manage that and possibly a minor in IT in 3 years. I'm struggling trying to decide which option would make me a better candidate in accounting. I have a passion for accounting so I know I don't want to get a sole IT job at all. So really I just would like to know your opinion on what would give me more of an edge in the career field. Plus graduating in 3 years would be nice because I could get a job sooner to pay off those loans! Sorry about the long post but I'd greatly appreciate any input or advise!

Thanks!

The Finance Writer

VIP Member
Reaction score
The best career options for accountants are available to those who pass the CPA exam. If you just want a job on the accounting staff with an industrial business, you are limiting your long-term advancement. Going back to school later in life for advanced accounting courses or getting a CPA license long after graduating is less of a successful avenue than pursuing these goals while you're young. Check out the amount of accounting your really need to learn for achieving expert status by trying the free sample CPA exam questions at CPA Exam Review, CPA Exam Courses and CPA Review Books - FFA

Ask a Question