Australia Deferring date of expense being incurred

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi all,

I've run into an issue whereby I can claim an expense from my employer, but only if the expense is incurred after an event at work. Unfortunately the timing is out (by a fair bit!).

Is there a legitimate way for a bill to be paid but an expense incurred later? My thoughts turned to having a third party cover the expense and a formal agreement in place for a trigger for them to then recoup costs later... potentially with interest etc.

Does this pass the sniff test?

Max.

Fidget

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Reimbursement of expenses isn't anything to do with accounting - it's down to your employer's policy on it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Yes and no.

Firstly, despite it largely relating to employer's policy, if there is a way to make the date technically correct then I can "meet" the policy at the same time as paying various parties at the time they would prefer. I have a suspicion this is not possible for me to do as an individual, but MAY be possible if someone decided to generously help me out... hence the question.

Secondly, Australian tax law has some things to say about fringe benefits tax (FBT) in relation to an employer accepting such a reimbursement. So it isn't just to do with employer policy at all.

So no-one has any ideas on the subject??

Ask a Question