Definition of Short-term debt

Reaction score
Country
Austria
Hello everyone!
I'm currently writing my diploma thesis in finance, although I am becoming a geography teacher. It's a little bit weird, but it works in Austria. Please excuse mistakes and/or missing knowledge every regular finance student should know otherwise.

I'm trying to calculate operative figures and one of them is based on short-term debt. So, I know short-term debt is debt you have to pay <1 year. And basically, I figured short-term debt in the annual report is also called "current liabilities".
What made me ask you guys and girls is a thing that confused me: I asked an Australian accountant and my uncle (which is an Austrian accountant) and neither of them used the current liabilities as short term debt. The Australian accountant simply said, that there is no short term debt. My uncle on the other hand told me, that at least the "trade and other payables" should be shortterm debt.

What would you people say? Can i work with the current liablities as short-term debt?

Thank you very much in advance!

Best regards,
Martin

Ask a Question