Dilemma with choosing a school

Reaction score
I have a question I would like to ask everyone's opinion:

For family reasons, I have to attend college in the greater Los Angeles Area (LA, Orange County, Riverside). So for Accounting major, I applied to USC, Loyola Marymount, Claremont McKenna, and Cal State schools.

I have been offered admission to Loyola Marymount's accounting major. I am currently waiting still to see whether USC or Claremont McKenna will also offer my admission. However, the deadline to accept Loyola's offer is May 1. USC and Clairmont will not give me a yes or no answer on admission until some time after May 1.

From looking at US News and World, Loyola Marymount's undergrad accounting major ranked 2nd only to USC in the greater Los Angeles Area (since UCLA don't have Accounting major), so it is realistically the second best school I can attend.

Should I accept Loyola's offer, or take my chances and hope USC and/or Claremont McKenna will also offer me admission? IF USC or Claremont did not offer me admission after I declined Loyola, my fallback is Fullerton State (who also offered me admission). Is this a worthwhile risk?

This is looking at my dilemma in a pure academic point of view.

What if I also tell you that Loyola has offered me a very generous financial package, that will in essence allow me to attend school with an out of pocket annual expense of $5,000 or so? So now the question would be whether it is worth the risk of decline Loyola, and even if either USC or Claremont offered me admission, but the financial package is low such that I have to spend an out of pocket expense greater then say $15,000.

What will your advice be if looking at the picture as a whole, academically and financially?

Last edited:
Reaction score
What happens if you accept at Loyola Marymount and later change your mind? My daughter accepted at one school and had a change of heart during the summer on the day we were supposed to go for registration. We lost a $200 enrollment deposit and a $50 room deposit (we hadn't yet signed the dorm contract). Losing $250 was small compared to the choice of going to a school she had decided was not the right one for her.

Reaction score
good question... haven't figure it out yet...

I guess I'm still in the old mind set that backing out of an acceptance is a big no-no...

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Well it is after May 1st - tell us what did you decide to do?

Ask a Question