Discover posting date = transaction date

B

bartt.shelton

(Also posted in Quicken Community)

Q 2011 H&B R8
Discover One-Step-Update, FI = "Discover Card" (although there might not be a diff between that & "Discover Card Account Center" for purposes of this discussion).

When you download transactions, Q imports the posting date. I believe the only way to see that is if you right click a downloaded transaction, then hold the Ctrl key while you select "Copy Transaction". That will invoke a pop-up & if the transaction has been downloaded, the bottom of the screen will show a checked box with the posting date.

In the reconciliation process, once you enter your statement date, Q filters transactions so that only those posted on/before the statement date are included in the reconciliation exercise.

Every time I reconcile my Discover account (for years, now), I've always had to de-select the last couple of days worth of transactions in the reconciliation window in order to get reconciled. Then I have to re-select those transactions for the next month's reconciliation.

What I finally started noticing is that the Discover download puts the transaction date in the posting date, not the date that it posts to the account..

Does anyone else see the same thing, & if so, is that something that Quicken needs to work through, or is the issue with Discover?

Ad

Advertisements

H

Han

(e-mail address removed) wrote in
(Also posted in Quicken Community)

Q 2011 H&B R8
Discover One-Step-Update, FI = "Discover Card" (although there might
not be a diff between that & "Discover Card Account Center" for
purposes of this discussion).

When you download transactions, Q imports the posting date. I believe
the only way to see that is if you right click a downloaded
transaction, then hold the Ctrl key while you select "Copy
Transaction". That will invoke a pop-up & if the transaction has been
downloaded, the bottom of the screen will show a checked box with the
posting date.

In the reconciliation process, once you enter your statement date, Q
filters transactions so that only those posted on/before the statement
date are included in the reconciliation exercise.

Every time I reconcile my Discover account (for years, now), I've
always had to de-select the last couple of days worth of transactions
in the reconciliation window in order to get reconciled. Then I have
to re-select those transactions for the next month's reconciliation.

What I finally started noticing is that the Discover download puts the
transaction date in the posting date, not the date that it posts to
the account.

Does anyone else see the same thing, & if so, is that something that
Quicken needs to work through, or is the issue with Discover?
NOTE: In Q12 and 13 the posting date can be shown in the register next
to the transaction date (register options). I do now notice that indeed
those dates are the same for Discover. In other accounts (especially
checking accounts) they are NOT the same.

My principal beefs with Discover are that it takes longer than it should
before transaction can be downloaded, and often there seem to be "zero"
dollar transactions which may or may not hold transaction number codes.
I delete those.

I often go to the website of FIs to see "pending" transactions.

M

Marc Auslander

Capital one has the same bug. I can't figure any way to get anyone to listen.

B

bartt.shelton

Capital one has the same bug. I can't figure any way to get anyone to listen.
Thanks for the responses.

It looks like the issue is with Discover.

In reviewing my OFXLog file, I can see a DTPOSTED value that, if we imply a "DateTime" data type, appears to correspond to 5:00 p.m. on the Transaction Date, not the Post Date.

I spent about 15 minutes on the phone w/ Discover & sent them a copy of the OFXLog file. They're supposed to look into it & the website support person I spoke with is supposed to follow up w/in a week.

M

Marc Auslander

Better than Capital One, which lies that they do not support Quicken,
even though they have downloads available!

B

bartt.shelton

Better than Capital One, which lies that they do not support Quicken,

even though they have downloads available!
I have a CapOne card, too & haven't noticed the same symptoms.

What FI instance are you using for that account? Is it "Capital One Card Services", "Capital One Card - Current", or "Capital One Commercial Services".

I use "Capital One Card - Current" and I get the Posting date.

As additional followup on the issue w/ Discover, I created a brand new Q file & a brand new Discover account w/in that new file. I then used the Web-Connect method by logging onto Discover's website & doing a download from the Discover website. That yielded the same results.

Ad

Advertisements

J

John Pollard

wrote in

Q 2011 H&B R8
Discover One-Step-Update, FI = "Discover Card" (although there might not be
a diff between that & "Discover Card Account Center" for purposes of this
discussion).

When you download transactions, Q imports the posting date. I believe the
only way to see that is if you right click a downloaded transaction, then
hold the Ctrl key while you select "Copy Transaction". That will invoke a
pop-up & if the transaction has been downloaded, the bottom of the screen
will show a checked box with the posting date.

In the reconciliation process, once you enter your statement date, Q filters
transactions so that only those posted on/before the statement date are
included in the reconciliation exercise.

Every time I reconcile my Discover account (for years, now), I've always had
to de-select the last couple of days worth of transactions in the
reconciliation window in order to get reconciled. Then I have to re-select
those transactions for the next month's reconciliation.

What I finally started noticing is that the Discover download puts the
transaction date in the posting date, not the date that it posts to the
account.

Does anyone else see the same thing, & if so, is that something that Quicken
needs to work through, or is the issue with Discover?
------------------------------------------------

As you've already discovered, the issue is with Discover.

Until they get if fixed, you can modify the "posting date" in Quicken for
those transactions whose incorrect posting date causes them to get included
in the wrong reconcile.

In the register: right-click the transaction in question, then hold down
CTRL while left-clicking "Copy transaction(s)".

In the resulting dialog box, correct the "posting date" and click OK.

M

Marc Auslander

I tried Capital One Card - Current. It "avoids" the problem by not
reporting a transaction date at all - just the posted date, which I
assume from your report is correct in the sense that you don't have to
fiddle with reconciles.

B

bartt.shelton

I tried Capital One Card - Current. It "avoids" the problem by not reporting a transaction date at all - just the posted date, which I assume from your report is correct in the sense that you don't have to fiddle with reconciles.
Correct.

I post transactions manually, based on my paper receipts, then validate against the downloaded ones. So, while the download may include their xctn date, I'm mainly interested in the Post Date for Reconciliation purposes.

I did hear from Discover today. No ETA, but at least they've acknowledged the problem:

Information from Discover on Quicken(R)From Discover Card Customer ServiceDate Received: 01/07/2013 12:05 PM
Thank you for sending us your Quicken(R) logs and issue you were experiencing with the posting of your transactions. I appreciate your patience while we looked into this.

We have identified the root cause and we are working on getting a fix, however there is not an estimated time on when the fix will be completed. Once we receive any additional information on an estimated time I will let you know.

I appreciate your business and the opportunity to be of service. Thank you for choosing Discover.

Sincerely,
<name redacted>
Web Support

B

bartt.shelton

wrote in Q 2011 H&B R8 Discover One-Step-Update, FI = "Discover Card" (although there might not be a diff between that & "Discover Card Account Center" for purposes of this discussion). When you download transactions, Q imports the posting date. I believe the only way to see that is if you rightclick a downloaded transaction, then hold the Ctrl key while you select "Copy Transaction". That will invoke a pop-up & if the transaction has been downloaded, the bottom of the screen will show a checked box with the posting date. In the reconciliation process, once you enter your statement date, Q filters transactions so that only those posted on/before the statement date are included in the reconciliation exercise. Every time I reconcile my Discover account (for years, now), I've always had to de-select the last couple of days worth of transactions in the reconciliation window in order to get reconciled. Then I have to re-select those transactions for the next month's reconciliation. What I finally started noticing is that the Discover download puts the transaction date in the posting date, not the date that it posts to the account. Does anyone else see the same thing, & if so, is that something that Quicken needs to work through, or is the issue with Discover? ------------------------------------------------ As you've already discovered, the issue is with Discover. Until they get if fixed, you can modify the "posting date" in Quicken for those transactions whose incorrect posting date causes them to get included in the wrong reconcile. In the register: right-click the transaction in question, then hold down CTRL while left-clicking "Copy transaction(s)". In the resulting dialog box, correct the "posting date" and click OK.
Thanks for the suggestion. However, I think it's less work to just "uncheck" the transactions that aren't on the statement during the Rec. process, then re-check them.

B

bartt.shelton

Thanks for the responses.

It looks like the issue is with Discover.

In reviewing my OFXLog file, I can see a DTPOSTED value that, if we imply a "DateTime" data type, appears to correspond to 5:00 p.m. on the Transaction Date, not the Post Date.

I spent about 15 minutes on the phone w/ Discover & sent them a copy of the OFXLog file. They're supposed to look into it & the website support person I spoke with is supposed to follow up w/in a week.
It looks like this is finally resolved.

Last month, I've now gone thru 2 reconciles & after I enter my statement close date, I'm not left with any exception transactions.

Ad

Advertisements

B

bartt.shelton

Thanks for the suggestion. However, I think it's less work to just "uncheck" the transactions that aren't on the statement during the Rec. process,then re-check them.
It looks like this is finally resolved.

I've now gone thru 2 reconciles & after I enter my statement close date, I'm not left with any exception transactions.

Ask a Question