Do I need to be licensed to do tax returns for individuals for a fee?

Reaction score
I'm a college accounting major who has taken a tax accounting class. This coming January, I'd like to start doing people's returns for a small fee. I may even do them for free, who knows.

Anyway, if I do decide to do them for a fee, do I need to have some sort of tax preparer license or be supervised by a CPA?

Either way, I plan on consulting with a tax lawyer to see if I need some sort of waiver in case someone doesn't disclose all their information to me and then the IRS comes after me.

Any other advice is welcome...

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
If you sign return as preparer irs requires you to have an ITIN number. If you don't have an ITIN , there is a $50 fine per return.

Reaction score
You would be prudent to have insurance. If in the UK you would be unable to trade without being supervised for money laundering purposes as this would be a criminal offence.

If in the States, several States have mandatory licensing.

Samir

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I would do returns, but wouldn't sign them as a paid preparer. I've seen this done. Then all the liability is on the taxpayer.

Reaction score
I would do returns, but wouldn't sign them as a paid preparer. I've seen this done. Then all the liability is on the taxpayer.
Not signing the return does not relieve you of classification as a "paid preparer". Also, the IRS imposes a penalty of $50 per return, not to exceed $25,000, for failure to sign the return as a paid preparer. Also, the taxpayer is ultimately responsible for his/her own return, regardless of who prepared it.

Samir

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Not signing the return does not relieve you of classification as a "paid preparer". Also, the IRS imposes a penalty of $50 per return, not to exceed $25,000, for failure to sign the return as a paid preparer. Also, the taxpayer is ultimately responsible for his/her own return, regardless of who prepared it.
Interesting. So how would a 'paid preparer' that didn't sign get discovered? Would it be solely through the taxpayer?

The Finance Writer

VIP Member
Reaction score
Every year, the IRS manages to discover paid preparers who have illegally failed to sign tax returns. Getting an ITIN is fairly easy and I commend watsojd1 for having enthusiasm about the tax business. As a college student, watsojd1 might consider learning more about tax preparation than is available at school by studying for the Enrolled Agent exam. That is a good addition to the college degree and accomplishes a big step toward a tax career. A solid course is available at Enrolled Agent Exam Prep and EA Study Guide

Ask a Question