USA Does A Simple Expense Categorization Software Even Exist?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, I need a simple software(preferably online) that can allow me to this:

-Import a spreadsheet of my transactions from bank

-View the data in the software's interface(including the "description" field from the bank)

-Categorize each expense in the software by simply clicking(and I must be able to add my own categories)

Then of course I need the software to add up all of the expenses by category.

Quickbooks is absolutely incapable of doing this. When you import a spreadsheet, you can see the description field from the bank(under 'banking' tab), but as soon as you click to the "expenses" tab where you can categorize expenses, this field is gone and there is no way to readd it- so you are staring at a list of charges that they expect you to categorize, when you can't even see a description of who it was paid to so you have no clue what it is for.

I have tried the following:
quickbooks
buffxer
gnu cash
cd expense
monchilla
brightbook
less accounting
sage
about 5 others

All of these completely suck and are too hard to use and none of them do what I want anyway.

Never thought doing something so simple would be so hard to find a software for. I don't want anything to do with "creating invoices" or "managing bills online" or "payroll" or a million complicated buttons. It is fine if these are also a part of the software, though, if I can just make it work to simply do what I need.

Does anything like this even exist?

Will thank for answers
Tim

Reaction score
Country
United States
Have you used QuickBooks Online or QuickBooks Desktop version? QuickBooks Online is one of the simple and easy to use tool that fits to your requirement. If you have used this and not finding suitable to your needs, you can try Kashoo as well.

Samir

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Quickbooks v1.0 could do this once you converted your spreadsheet into a qif file and imported it.

I'm sure some of the others you posted could do it too, but not without some sort of conversion from the spreadsheet you are using into the format the accounting program needs.

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Hi,

Have you tried searching with the term “Top Expense Report Software Products”? Give it a try, you may find what you are in need of.

If it does not work for you, I don’t know what will.

Best of Luck!

Ask a Question