Doing a survey, any info will be appreciated

Reaction score
Hi, I am currently going to college looking towards accounting as a possible career option. My assignment is to research regarding this. I just wanted to know your experiences in this field, the level of difficulty in schooling and work, starting salary, what you enjoy about it, what you hate about it, if you can go back to school what changes would you make?, the work environment, what really goes on on a day of an accountant?, any words of wisdom?, Is the work just sitting on your butt all day "crunching numbers" as they say?, or is there more involved such as going to meetings and making presentations and such, what are biggest stressing factors?. Sorry for all the questions, but it would help me great deal. Thanks

Reaction score
My industry experience has been limited to small businesses and a tax season internship, but to answer a few of your questions:

Studying accounting is less about math and more about learning a system of rules and understanding the logic behind those rules.

The work can be varied; some days it is a lot of number crunching, but most of the time its trying to decide how a particular situation should be accounted for. Low-level jobs will involve data entry and compilation, but as you progress in your career, it becomes more about interpretation and less about "number crunching".

Hope this helps

Ask a Question