USA Domicile in FL, Stay in VA, & Work in MD

Aug 27, 2013
Reaction score
I own a house in FL, where my wife works & lives full time. I stay in VA with relatives, I do not pay rent and I do not own property or house in VA. And I work full time in MD. I spend about 1 week per month in FL. My drivers license and car registration is in FL. When I retire, I will move to FL full time.

I'm would like to know which state in should claim as Domicile and which is Residency?
How I should file taxes? Do I need to file in MD & VA?
Do I pay income tax in VA and then claim that on my FL taxes?

I'm confussed, thanks for your help!


The Finance Writer

VIP Member
Aug 23, 2013
Reaction score
You owe tax in Maryland on your income in that state as a nonresident.

Florida does not have a state income tax.

Based upon the facts you presented, you could be considered a Virginia resident. If so, you must file a tax return for that state. I recommend, however, that you obtain professional advice from either a CPA specializing in tax or a tax expert who has passed the Enrolled Agent exam. An Enrolled Agent or CPA can gather more details from you and develop a defensible position.

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question