Dormant Company query

Reaction score
Hi all,

I bought some business equipment through personal account whilst my company was dormant. It was set up via Companies House but since then I never got the ball rolling as it were with my Marketing etc so didn't see the need at that time to set up a business bank account.

I decided, as I spotted a bargain here and there to buy quite a lot of equipment that I would need for the Company. Once I start trading which I'm pretty sure it will be soon as I'm currently about to start a marketing campaign, will I be able to declare these sales through the books and re-claim personal money spent, or is that not possible?. Also, I was lead to believe that if I am not currently trading, then I don't need to notify HMRC, only when I start trading then I need to let them know within 3 months, is this right?

Stu

Becky

VIP Member
Reaction score
There is relief available as long as the expenditure qualifies - I am unsure from your post whether the expenditure is revenue or capital, so both bits of guidance are below.

Revenue: BIM46351 and BIM46355

Capital: CA23179

Essentially if the expenditure qualifies for relief, it is treated as incurred on the first day of trade.

However this applies to the legal entity which incurred the expenditure. I would double check this with your adviser - perhaps your company could purchase the goods from you at market value.

Reaction score
If the items are capital items then it is possible that the company can buy these from you. However I would urge you get some specific advice on your situation

Thanks

Vicky

Ask a Question