Double major in Accounting or Master in Accounting for CPA? (bachelor, bachelor degre

Reaction score
Hello people,
I have a bachelor degree in economics and I have taken four accounting courses. I want to work in the field of accountancy preferable in public accounting. I know company's (PWC or any good company) require accounting major to work in the field of accounting. I am confused I want to go back to school part time to pursue accounting career and I am not sure whether should I go for a bachelor degree in accounting from a okay school or should I study for GMAT and go for master degree in accounting? either way I have to pay tuition from my pocket or take the student loan out. I am currently working as a accounts payable/finance associates temp for fortune 50 company. My long-term is to be become CPA . I am not sure what path to take? please advice what you guys think I should do?

P.S. I already have taken four accounting courses during my undergrad

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Assuming both schools are of equal quality, you should take the shortest, least expensive path possible. The only way to determine that is to meet with the admissions counselor at both the undergrad school and the MBA school and get specifics from each on how long it will take and how much it will cost. Then decide from there.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Having gone through starting a Master's program, but not being able to finish even with an undergrad degree in accounting, I would highly recommend getting a bachelor's degree in accounting. If you took 4 courses, then you probably did Basic Accounting, managerial accounting, and intermediate 1 and 2. However, when you go to the Master's program in accounting, they will have assumed you took individual tax, accounting information systems, advanced accounting, cost accounting, and ethics at the very least. You can't get your CPA anymore without going through an ethics course, a research course, and a writing course. It also has to be specific courses and sometimes approved professors, not just courses that had writing and research in them. I don't know that you will find all of those classes at a graduate level.

Ask a Question