USA Dual Resident Taxes?

Reaction score
My husband works in CT and has income in CT only. I have income in NY and in CT for the tax year of 2012. We rent an apartment in CT, and own a home in New York City. We travel to New York every Friday night, and my husband returns to CT every Sunday night or Monday morning, and I return to CT every Monday night or Tuesday night. As well, we spend our vacations, and holidays in New York, approximately 30 days last year. We do not rent our NY home to anyone, my Mother lives there and travels with us to CT from time to time. And we use our home when in NY. We are registered and voted in NY, our car is registered in NY, have NY drivers licenses, and have extensive family ties. Plus we have been exclusive NY residents for 20+ years, so we consider this our domicile. According to NY any day in New York, even if for an hour is considered a whole day. In CT the number of days that one must be in the state is that of 183 days, just like in NY, plus have an abode (also true for CT). For tax purposes, what state do I declare residency? Do I file with both as Resident? Wouldn't this cause double taxation? I am really confused about this, I want to make sure that I am doing the right thing....
Any thoughts would be helpful!

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
No, you are a resident of only one state, NY, based on your info. You and your husband would file a NY return as resident and a CT as nonresident

Reaction score
No, you are a resident of only one state, NY, based on your info. You and your husband would file a NY return as resident and a CT as nonresident
Even if I did spend 183 + in both states and have abode in both? Can CT claim I am a resident of their state?

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Will send reply to your private email

Ask a Question