Ebay business - What do i need to do?

Reaction score
Hi

I have recently set up an online business selling on ebay and amazon. The money coming in from this business is currently around £4000 a month, and i know i need to sort out business taxes and get myself an accountant etc, but was wondering what i need to do with regards to registering with HMRC? Iv been told i need to register as self employed, however when i do this on the website i get asked for a UTR number which I dont have. THis is all quite new to me, so any help would be much appreciated

THanks

Becky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi halo91, welcome to the forums! I am pleased to hear that your new business is going well.

Which online form are you using? As far as I can see, you need to click the following link:

https://online.hmrc.gov.uk/registration/options

...and select 'Register for HMRC taxes' in the bottom right-hand corner of the page. Scroll down to the bottom of the next page and select 'Create an account for me' and it should take you through to the right form.

This option is for a new business so it should not require a UTR (unique tax reference - something you are only given if you have previously filed tax returns).

If you have any more problems though please let me know :)

Ask a Question