Editing Accounts to Reconcile

Reaction score
I am taking over the books for a real estate attorney who uses Quickbooks Pro. He has his client accounts marked bank and as sub accounts to his bank account/IOLTA. He has not reconciled his bank account but marks his individual client accounts against his bank statement. His bank account in Quickbooks shows 0 while his bank statements show more. A trial balance shows a credit in his account to match the sum total of the individual accounts.
It looks messy and not sure an auditor would approve? I attempted to edit some accounts but Quickbooks won't allow changes to sub account as it must be the same as parent account.
Any thoughts on cleaning this up? Do I need to start from square one. I am fairly inexperienced at Quickbooks so any help would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Country
United States
First make sure your are in single user mode.
Second, edit each account individually
Go to Lists --> Chart of Accounts --> click on one account,
Right click - then go to the drop arrow and select the account you want to change to as the master account.

Ask a Question