alektrishan

My doctor has just installed new accounting software and they have
changed my account number. It looks like I have to make an new entry
in the Online Payees list.

Two questions:
1. Do I have to make a new entry?
2. If so, how do I distinguish it from the old one when the timnes
comes to write a check?
3. Will I screw up the recorded history if I delete the old name?

Thanks.

Ad

Advertisements

B

bartt.shelton

My doctor has just installed new accounting software and they have

changed my account number. It looks like I have to make an new entry

in the Online Payees list.

Two questions:

1. Do I have to make a new entry?

2. If so, how do I distinguish it from the old one when the timnes

comes to write a check?

3. Will I screw up the recorded history if I delete the old name?

Thanks.
You can't change an account number for an Online Payee. Address &/or Phone no. yes, but account number no.

IIRC, Quicken has a validation that won't let you re-use the Payee Name + Description.

I had to do something similar to what you're doing & made the mistake of leaving the Description field empty. When I tried to add the Payee again (w/ the same name), Q rejected it as a duplicate.

One method that I've used reliably is to add the current YYYY MM for a payee in the Description field before I delete it. That makes it unique & associates it with a point in time that I'll likely never use again.

A

alektrishan

You can't change an account number for an Online Payee. Address &/or Phone no. yes, but account number no.

IIRC, Quicken has a validation that won't let you re-use the Payee Name + Description.

I had to do something similar to what you're doing & made the mistake of leaving the Description field empty. When I tried to add the Payee again (w/ the same name), Q rejected it as a duplicate.

One method that I've used reliably is to add the current YYYY MM for a payee in the Description field before I delete it. That makes it unique & associates it with a point in time that I'll likely never use again.
Just to make sure, are you saying that I can reuse an account name if
the decription field is unique?

Thanks.

Ad

Advertisements

B

bartt.shelton

Just to make sure, are you saying that I can reuse an account name if

the decription field is unique?

Thanks.
I haven't had to do it in a while but I have no reason to think the algorithm has changed.

The short affirmation is yes.

In my experience, Quicken's uniqueness test applies to all Online Payees, even those that have been deleted (are no longer visible) and the uniquenesstest for Online Payees in Quicken is on the Payee Name + Description. If you leave the Description blank, you can't recreate the same Payee name unless you add something into the Description field that has not been previously used for the same Payee name.

That said, I've always driven the task through Quicken. I haven't tried changing a Payee's account number through the bank website (or delete/re-add)& letting Quicken sync to what the bank has. You might call your bank & see if they can provide guidance.

Ask a Question