USA EIN or SSN?

Reaction score
Country
United States
My wife and I are starting a weekend photography business. Will I get more tax benefit from establishing an EIN for the business or using one of our SSNs? The startup takes alot of capital vs cash flow and I'd like to deduct these costs from our regular W-2 income. Is this possible and whats the best way?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Country
United States
There is no tax benefit from having an EIN, only the benefit of not having to provide your SSN to clients that reptort payments on 1099's. If both you and your wife will own the business and both working in it you may be required to file partnership return unless you meet certain exceptions. Large losses on weekend photography business that offset high income W-2's is good way to invite IRS audit of weekend business and all losses being disallowed as business is actually a hobby, oh and the best part all gross income is still reported on line 21 less COGS and any other expenses are only allowed up to income, also no depreciation is allowed for fixed assets (all the photography equipment such as camera's, tripods, etc.) but they are taken on Schedule A subject to 2% limitation and AMT. So better make sure it is a legitimate business before going down that road as hobby loss audits are very difficult to win.

Kerry Claxton, CPA

Ask a Question