Embarrassing Moments

J

John Baker

When the computer age hit our firm, many of us were unprepared. When we went from mainframe applications to the PC, we hit an unexpected snag. The language applications proved to be difficult.
An intern from a local college seemed to be our savior. She was intelligent, savvy of the new media, and she streamlined much of our learning curve.
We had clients with long names and some of them were a tricky to spell. So one of our site managers took it upon himself one weekend to takeoff and run with a suggestion from our intern. He started to abbreviate every client on record. So, say Donaldson and Prodonovich Manufacturing, was listed as DPM.
As the electronic messaging system developed, we would send e-mails back and forth, indexed for convenience, with say, DPM.
This way of doing business seemed a lifesaver, especially for non-computer people like myself. So, waiting for me in my e-mail bucket and any and all correspondence, for say this client, was my ID, JB-DPM. I would return correspondence to the sender, say John Smith, with - ref: JS-DPM.
We had an account, with the abbreviation of WTF. And the majority of us saw nothing exceptional with e-mailing each other internally with JB-WTF, ref: JS-WTF.
When it came to e-mail a client, with a client account reference on the e-mail, say, Westerly Thermoforming_
Client Name: Westerly Thermoforming
Client ID: WTF
It was suggested by the client to change their ID to something else. Nobody got it, except the three new interns from two local colleges. Talk about being left behind in the new age of automation.