End-Of-Month - New Accounting Period

Reaction score
Hi all,

I took 2.5 years of accounting which ended about 4-5 years ago, so I'm a little rusty as of right now.

I have a business and am accruing accounts based on a calendar year.
Now with the new year, I am honestly stuck on how to roll the account balances over.
I want to rollover my assets accounts to match what I have on hand. For inventory, I believe i can just do an adjustment to my inventory account in assets and my inventory equity account. I have a purchases account that I use to keep tally of the cost, so the inventory equity is just to adjust for monthly audits of our inventory worth.

I am not sure how I should pullover my cash account though. What do I credit? Obviously my balance sheet needs to, well, balance, so I need some sort of credit for the cash. Should I just create a contra account for roll-over? It's just the assets accounts that really have my scratching my head, because sales, expenses, AP/AR are all 0 at the beginning of the year, but my assets are not. I appreciate any and all help, and please be kind, as I said, it's been a while.

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Are you working with a manual set of books or an accounting software?

Reaction score
I am wondering if I just roll over the balances from month end december 2013 for the account balances at the start of the new year? And then l&p accounts start from scratch.

Counterofbeans

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
There isn't really much to do with the asset accounts to roll them over. Whatever the balance was at end of 12/31/13 is the same as the beginning of 1/1/14.

The primary issue when closing the books at year-end is closing all P&L accounts to retained earnings. These accounts should be zero at the beginning of the year (I'm guessing that's 1/1/14 for you).

Does this answer your question?

Ask a Question