USA Entity conversion: what can I record?

Reaction score
A DBA for a business was filed earlier this year (and will be dissolved this week). Meanwhile, an S-Corp was formed. It's the same business, just a different structure. Can expenses incurred for the DBA still be on the books for the S-Corp even though they happened before the S-Corp was formed? I'm trying to help the owner sort out business vs. personal expenses, but it has been difficult since for the DBA, the owner's business and personal expenses are all one.

The big thing I'm trying to figure out is expenses for the lawyer. He was paid $1,000 in total. $100 was a retainer, and subsequent payments of $500 and $400 were made. The payments were made while the business was a DBA, but the lawyer was needed to form the S-Corp (and whatever else comes up down the road). Therefore, I figure that payments made to the lawyer can go on the S-Corp's books since he was needed anyway and he was needed for the entity conversion. Is this correct (providing that the receipts can be located)?

Can the S-Corp incur financial transactions before it was formed?

If there are any state laws that come into play, I'm in NY.

Ask a Question