Entry-Level Advice

Reaction score
So I have a problem. I graduated with a B.S. in Accounting in August 2011. I was already taking MBA classes before I graduated and decided to stick with the MBA classes since I need 150 credits for the CPA exam. I took 4 MBA classes this semester and now have 150 credits. The problem is, NOBODY WILL HIRE ME.

I didn't have an internship in college which really hurts, but nobody will even hire me as an intern. My GPA could be better (3.35), but I think a lot of it has to do with my lack of relevant extracurricular activities (I only played tennis for the school).

I've been looking for jobs/internships for the last two months, have had a bunch of interviews, but it's looking like nobody will hire me. If you were me, would you stick to MBA classes (4 classes in the spring 2 in the summer and 2 in the fall 2012 and I'll be done with a finance concentration), take only a couple MBA classes while studying for CPA, or work full-time as a waiter or something and study for CPA while putting off my MBA for later in life?

Kev

Reaction score
If you want a job in finance/accounting you got to persevere! Companies can be choose to be picky with such a competitive jobs market.

I graduated in 2010, with a degree from a top uni, had some experience, and it took a year of temp jobs in accounts to finally get offered a permanent role..

Sounds like you need more experience, I had the same issue, what worked for me was to accept a job doing some of the more junior roles in accounts e.g. account receivable/payable, and proving to a company that you got more to give! 6 months down the line within a global company, I was offered a Perm role as a management accountant.

I stayed with that job for 2 months, than moved on to a much better job with another company!

Its a dog eat dog world mate! Do whats right for you!

Reaction score
Thank you for the advice! Yeah I just gotta start looking for A/P type positions, staff accountant and public accounting internships just aren't gonna happen for me.

Ask a Question