UK Ethics of Accountant lead generation

JHE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I work for a company that sells a digital mileage capture system to organisations with car fleets (company, pool and grey fleet). The system is HMRC compliant, cost neutral and streamlines the complete (from driver to admin) manual process of keeping mileage documentation. We have a software only solution or software and hardware solution. At the recent AccountEx 2017 show we generated lots of interest.

Anyway, enough of the pitch. We are selling to companies with car fleets of 5-300+ but would like to increase frequency. This technology is quite new, niche and lacks general awareness but once in front of clients, the benefits are quickly realised. Therefore, we are looking for quality leads and one way we want to do this is by 'partnering' with Accountants . Their leads would allow us an opportunity to demonstrate our system and leave a quote for which we will pay the accountant a lead referral fee. My questions:

1. Are there any ethical issues with our plan?

2. Besides word of mouth/networking, is there a place where I can find potential accountants? (I.E. A service, forum etc.)

3. Is anyone interested in knowing more? (ABC) ;)

Fidget

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1. For various reason, I think you'll be hard pressed to find any accountancy practices that would take this on.

2. You can google for accountancy practices and you'll a load of them. Do a mailshot and see if any bite. As I say, I think you'll be hard pressed to find any that will, but, you never know til you ask!

3. No. :p

Werner Reisacher

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Respectfuly disagree with above assessment. Fully agree, any accounting who is ethical would ever disclose the name of his customers. It would be border line illegal. However, if he/she is convinced that you have a product that helps the cusomters, he will sell it to them either directly or by introducing the customer to you. Well understood, he expects reciprocal services. Accountants are only one of the many targets for you. Car dealer, Rental Car compmanies, etc. are others.

JHE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
by introducing the customer to you.
This is the part we are looking for, a friendly opening of a door.
We have been in close relationships with a few accountants and the ICAEW, so the avenue is showing promise!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ask a Question