USA Facing a Dilemma need your Advice!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Everyone ,
I figure this is the best place to post and get some honest advices from some of you guys. I'm actually considering leaving public accounting or accounting in general due to a couple of reasons. First I'm miserable and hate what I do, second I received bad reviews during my evaluation. I'm currently in a senior tax role with a public accounting firm in NYC . I don't feel I'm performing at the level I need to for my position and it's mainly due to the fact that I don't like what I do. Recently I been offered a job outside of accounting which come with hefty pay cut but I feel like I'm a good fit for it. I'm considering the offer but I'm worry on how to approach my current firm and what they would think if I tell them I'm leaving since it's 2/16/15 and busy season is up on us? I know they would not be surprise by it due to my bad reviews and counseling meetings with the partners/managers throughout this time. How soon should I let them know ? How many weeks of advance notice should give them 2 weeks or more? Please guys give me your thoughts and opinion I would greatly appreciate it.

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
No need to continue to live in misery. Just leave. If you had a friend in YOUR exact situation , I'm betting you would advise the friend to leave.

As to the pay cut, factor in the huge hours you must spend at the tax job now. So determine a "per hour" salary at tax job vs new job. You may be surprised. Also, factor in a "quality of life" component.

Don't worry about leaving the firm. Sounds like they're getting ready to discharge you anyway. Since they have not done so it might come after this tax season.

Give only 2 weeks notice. But only if you can do so without jeopardizing the other job. Just being pragmatic on this.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply. Quick question how should I initiate the talk in letting them know I'm putting in my 2 weeks notice. Should I first let the HR know and then the partner and director? Or should I let the Partner and Director know I'm putting in my 2 weeks notice or 3 weeks then let the HR Manager know afterward? They may ask me to leave right away or ask me to stay for more than 2 weeks since it busy season technically. How would you approach this in way to cordially and professional as possible?

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Be more concerned about your new company than the old one. Ask new company of they want you in no more than two weeks. If they say yes , two weeks is all you can offer.I would notify old company HR as you want to be sure they get the message.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Agree with Kirby 100%. Turn in your 2 weeks notice to HR and do what you have to do to take care of yourself. Sure they're not going to be thrilled that you are leaving at the beginning of tax season, but oh well. That's their concern and not yours. Business will go on.

At my firm we've had people leave right during tax season. It happens. Sure it sucks but we've managed. There have also been people who have been let go during tax season. If the tables were turned and they wanted to let you go, do you think they would be worried about if the timing is right for you?

I just noticed this thread is almost a week old, so I'm curious to know if you have taken any action over this past week?

Good luck!

Samir

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'd just make sure you have the other job lined up before approaching your current company. Once you know your start date at the new company, let your old company know that you're giving notice that xxx will be your last day. It would be important to explain that 'it's not them, it's you' and why your believe your poor performance has been solely attributed to you being miserable in your current career.

Ask a Question