filing for two different states

Jun 23, 2011
Reaction score
I live and worked in MA and my wife worked in NJ for entire year 2010. I earned much more income than my wife. we are filing jointly for federal. for states, my tax cpa is filing for NJ as though I live there and it is making me to pay to state. I have already paid my state taxes to MA. It might be due to MA state tax is less than for NJ. If I didnt live in NJ, I am not sure if I should pay taxes for income I didnt earn in NJ. Can we file taxes jointly for federal and separately for states?


Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question