Financial Accounting 1

Reaction score
Country
United States
One of my first courses of online college for me is Financial Accounting 1. I'm very interested in accounting but really don't know much about it. From a novice stance, will Financial Accounting 1 be too much information? To clarify, should i have had practical years of accounting before trying to acquire a degree in it?

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
To clarify, should i have had practical years of accounting before trying to acquire a degree in it?
That’s not necessary. Just dedicate enough study time to the class. You can use YouTube to see example coursework if you wish.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
There is no need for the prior experience before requiring an accounting degree. You are going to have the chance at internships while finishing your course load. Most employers want that bachelors or masters degree for a full time position anyways. Good luck!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I had a plan by the way. Does this sound practical? My fire union is providing funding for me to acquire a bachelor's degree in accounting. Once this part is finished, I will self fund my Master's Degree and CPA. Now all the while, I have to stay employed as a firefighter. What I planned on doing is after my associate's degree, maybe take some jobs doing accounting for myself so i can have something listed for accounting experience on my resume. Would I be better off just staying quiet for the next six years and then submitting a resume with no experience but all of the education?

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
. Would I be better off just staying quiet for the next six years and then submitting a resume with no experience but all of the education?
No. Having some actual experience would be better.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the input. What my plan would be is to begin an LLC after I get my associate's degree so that by the time I get my master's degree, I'll have some experience plus being bilingual on the side should offer me some great opportunities or at least I hope.

BIG E

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I suggest you contact your State Board of Accountancy to find out how many years of experience you need in the accounting profession before you can be a licensed CPA. That's needed even if you pass the CPA exam. It's better to get the years over with as soon as possible rather than later.

Reaction score
Country
United States
roger that. Im in my first accounting class and I'm doing decent in it. I'm very hopeful for my future. thanks for the info!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Curious...they're funding a bachelor's degree in accountancy specifically, or a bachelor's degree in a focus of your choice?

Ask a Question