Australia Financial accounting ratios Question

Reaction score
Hi all. For my assignment in my Accounting degree I need to calculate a bunch of financial ratios for the australian companies Woolworths and Wesfarmers. I've come stuck on a couple. The first is "Accounts receivables turnover" for 2011. The formula I have been given is

"Net credit sales" divided by "Average net accounts receivable"

I can calculate the "average net accounts receivable" from the balance sheets ie: "Trade and other receivables" from 2010 + "Trade and other receivables" from 2011 then divide by 2. But not so sure about "Net credit sales". I am thinking "Revenues from the sale of goods" (from the income statement) minus "cash" (from the balance sheet). Is this correct?

With values of

Trade and other receivables (2010) = $916.8
Trade and other receivables (2011) = $1,122.2
Revenue from the sale of goods (2011) = $54,142.9
Cash (2011) = $1,519.6

Therefore, "Accounts receivables turnover" = 51.62. Is this correct? seems a bit high

The second ratio is "Acid-test ratio". It requires "short term investments". I could not find this under Woolworths balance sheet. But I did find "Assets held for sale" listed under current assets. Is this the same thing.

Cheers

Ask a Question